Sign of hens about to lay?

Signs include:
Redder combs and wattles
If you reach over their backs, they will squat
Checking out nest boxes
"Practicing" the egg song
Hope this helps!

Yes. I had all of those signs for the past two weeks and my lady just laid her first egg yesterday. Most expensive egg in the history of the world but so worth it.

Yes. I had all of those signs for the past two weeks and my lady just laid her first egg yesterday. Most expensive egg in the history of the world but so worth it.

That's what my husband says. Most expensive eggs......

But the new baby chick we got to watch hatch has his attached to it. He would never tell me but I know :ya

There is a lot of signs that tell a chicken is going into production.
Plump, large, red comb and waddles.
Face reddens.
Submissively squat when picking her up.
excessively loud.
Checking out the coop.
Abdomen area expands.
The easiest way for me to tell she is going into production is the face, comb and waddles.
Once she gets a little further into production, she will start to loose xanthophyll (yellow pigment) in the legs. This is because xanthophyll is diverted into the yolk, which is why the egg yolk is yellow in color.

There is a lot of signs that tell a chicken is going into production.
Plump, large, red comb and waddles.
Face reddens.
Submissively squat when picking her up.
excessively loud.
Checking out the coop.
Abdomen area expands.
The easiest way for me to tell she is going into production is the face, comb and waddles.
Once she gets a little further into production, she will start to loose xanthophyll (yellow pigment) in the legs. This is because xanthophyll is diverted into the yolk, which is why the egg yolk is yellow in color.
Very interesting. Had no idea about the xanthophyll. Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!

What about birds with white, black, slate, or green legs? ;)

Yes, that is what I was wondering, I have read and researched about it before but haven't seen any answers. Maybe the yellow is internal, who knows,:idunno but I sure haven't seen white, black, slate or green yolks!
There is some correlation between laying status and yellow leg color fading,
but yolk color comes from what they eat.

Back
Top Bottom