Sign of hens about to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KingCoopa, Jul 6, 2018.

1. KingCoopa

KingCoopa Chirping

May 16, 2018
    Kirkland, WA
    Newbie here. My two hens are almost exactly 5 months old. As far as I know they have reached the age to start laying. They've been good about almost never going into the nesting boxes up to this point, which I've heard is good thing until they're ready to lay. Yesterday I noticed that perfect little nests had been formed in the straw inside of the nesting boxes (see attached photo). No eggs, but I assume this behavior means that they will lay any day now? Anyone have a good guess or experience with this? I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of an egg! Mostly because my wife enjoys watching me fail at my hobby and keeps telling me they are never going to lay. LOL!!!

Attached Files:

2. woodenfarm

woodenfarm Songster

Mar 28, 2017
    TN
    They should be close.
    Some breeds lay early and some slower..... my white leghorn that hates me she laid her eggs right on time where my Wyandotte was one of the last ones to give us an egg

3. RenegadeSkate3

RenegadeSkate3 Chirping

Jul 3, 2018
    Wow wow that’s a good wife you’ve got there:lol: honestly I’m not a chicken expert nor any kind of bird expert! I’m brand new but deploying to atleast show that people are looking st this post !! ^~^ good luck mate I’ll stick around

4. KingCoopa

KingCoopa Chirping

May 16, 2018
    Kirkland, WA
    I hope so! I've got a Cream Legbar and a Rhodebar. The breeder told me could be any time from last weekend through the next two or three weeks? Thanks for the reply!

5. KingCoopa

KingCoopa Chirping

May 16, 2018
    Kirkland, WA
    Hahaha! All in good fun with the wife! She thinks that my raising of the chickens is ridiculous, so she likes to give me a hard time. She's been nice enough to allow me to drop a bunch of $ on this whole thing. So that's cool! Thank for the reply!

6. Art_plus_chickens

Art_plus_chickens Songster

Feb 7, 2018
    Kansas
    I’d take the nests being made up as a sign. :)

They’ll also start squatting when they are close to laying and normally (for me anyway) once they start squatting there is an egg to follow very soon!

7. SavKel&RynKel

SavKel&RynKel Free Ranging

Mar 16, 2018
    Bay Area, California
    My Coop
    So our oldest just laid her first egg. Sav found out a trick and for us it worked perfect. If you put your hand over a chick and try to grab them, they will run. This occurs until two weeks before your first egg. At the two week mark they will squat (sometimes it's a bit of a squat run if they are timid). When they squat, you can grab their tail and move it left and right, and after a few seconds they fluff up and shake. I dunno where she heard the trick but generally you are faking the pullet into thinking you are the rooster. So if you try that and it works, I'd say you'll have an egg in two weeks or less. Our first egg landed exactly on week 20 for a RIR/barred rock mix. Our buffs are the same egg and still not squatting.

to BarbsGirls, MARSMOM, emrya and 8 others like this.
  8. KingCoopa

KingCoopa Chirping

May 16, 2018
    Kirkland, WA
    Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot!

9. Signs include:
    Redder combs and wattles
    If you reach over their backs, they will squat
    Checking out nest boxes
    "Practicing" the egg song
    Hope this helps!

10. KingCoopa

KingCoopa Chirping

May 16, 2018
    Kirkland, WA
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: