Signs of Heart Attacks

Uncle Chicken

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Hello,

First time poster and first time raising CX. I have a question or two. My CX are at 5.5 weeks weighing between 4-5 #'s. I noticed last night when raising the feeders (feeding 12 on 12 off) one of the girls was lying there breathing hard. This morning she did not get up to eat and still breathing hard, eyes closed, but will open them when poked. This seems like a sign of a heart attack. Am I correct in that thinking?

So Im going to go ahead and harvest her before she actually dies. My second question is this really doesnt have an effect on the meat does it? Might sound like a dumb question but seems a logical one to ask. Ive got 2 weeks until my processing appointment. Hopefully I can get the rest of the girls there on time....

Thanks for the replies!

I would agree that heart failure is the most likely answer. When I see one of mine like that, I don't give them the night. I butcher them immediately, and no, I can't see how heart failure would have any negative effect on the quality of the meat.

Heat is really tough on these birds. I'm raising them in the tropics and it's a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom