Signs of over mating

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
My hens aren’t beat up or anything but I have three roosters and twelve hens. I want to be sure the hens aren’t getting over mated. Or what to look out for as signs of over mating/ stress from mating.

My roosters are Fuzzy the EE boss, Lil Chi my bantam, and Bop my silkie. Those are the only ones currently mating. I have other roosters that aren’t near the girls.

Fuzzy and Lil Chi mate with the standard sized hens. Well Lil Chi tries but doesn’t succeed very well. I have nine standard hens. Bop tries to mate with the silkies but he’s new at it and they refuse his advances. The silkie girls are also not laying yet and not interested in mating.

I am getting more pullets but the space won’t be ready for them until the ground thaws. They also have to hatch and grow up. But for my current hens what should I watch out for in terms of over mating? How will I know they’re being over mated? Should I just assume as much? Especially since spring is coming.

Thank you both for your reply. I’ll be sure to be on the look out for those signs come spring time. So far none of the hens are showing anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom