Silent Crowing

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I have a 6 week old RIR that was vent sexed as a hen but we concluded a couple of weeks ago that chances were growing that it was a Roo. Today he started doing this thing where it looked like he was crowing but there is noooo sound - is this normal? Does it confirm the whole "really a roo" theory?

Our young rooster Mango does this... why is this?

Is it because his real crow is AWFUL?? lol!

Anyone else have a Roo that only goes through the motions?

I have a white young silkie doing this! I can not tell the sex of my two silkies but one has been doing this for about a week, so I was thinking I had a Roo! So, could it be? Very interesting to know.

big_smile.png
i have a black astrolorp rooster that did the same thing and a araucana graduly it started and now they both crow fine....thats weird... all my other roosters got it right the first time
lol.png
this doesnt have anything to do with the question but did you know a hen will crow sometimes? its true...sometimes if you take a roo frome a hen flock the dominate hen will try to crow....thats weird
hmm.png

Last edited:
Mango has crowed a few times already. I like him better when he silent crows. I'm sure he is a rooster. Ok, I guess I am not sure, but he has a comb and wattles. He is a 7.5 week old Cornish X. Poor thing... he sounds like he has a cold when he crows... when he MANAGES to crow.

Looks like he is dry heaving when he silent crows. Scared me the first few times I saw him do it. I thought...awwww, the poor thing has the dry heaves because I don't feed him 24/7 !
tongue.png
wink.png
lol.png

Last edited:
First of all hi to the fellow neighborhood mom out there..
wink.png

How did you come about mango.. he wasnt supposed to be a cornish x, and wasnt supposed to be a male either..

I have seen a few cornish x parents on here that dont eat their birds. I am guessing that because you named your meat bird he is not for meat! but how is he doing in development. Dont they not do well, heart conditions and such??? But I have heard of a few out there that get the right excercise/food ratio and do fine.

Do you have any pics??? would love to see how big he is compaired to the other girls..

oh yea and as for your siggy slogan....

SOOOOO TRUE! I would have never thought either.. LOL I have thought of killing the dog several times. But NEVER thought of killing one of my chickens..

Last edited:
I sure do have pics.

We got Mango from a bin at TSC.... never again!

He was supposed to be a Golden Sex Link.
I also have an RIR pullet from there that seems to be a rooster as well.

Mango though.. oh boy, has HE ever been a surprise!

Meet Mango at 7 weeks old!

10071_mango_6-15-08.jpg

He is also my avatar. We nicknamed him Mango-zilla when he was smaller.. because he was so much BIGGER than the other two!

Here is Mango at approximately 3 weeks old with Rose (the other new suspected rooster)

10071_sm_mango.jpg

oh and thanks Smom for the welcome!!!!

There is a thread about Mango crowing as well somewhere on the forum. It's a God-awful noise! lol!

Back
Top Bottom