Silike Question.. do you need 1 roo per each hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WIChookchick, Oct 28, 2010.

1. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    There is an ad on our local CL, a person is selling silkies.. pairs only...
    his is a standard for Silkie breeders because Silkies like to be paired

Really??
    I have a buff, a white, a black, and a splash rooster, I had a black rooster...but they fought so I found him a new home...

Soooo... do silkies like pairing with a rooster.. or is this guy blowing smoke??​

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    People sell in pairs because if they don't they end up stuck with the roos. This is because so many more people want hens for eggs, because of bilaws against roosters and as they only need 1 or 2 roos to tend a flock of hens.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Blowing smoke. I had one Silkie roo over 10 hens and had excellent fertility.

I only sell birds in pairs when I have a really great rooster that I don't want to see eaten. I recently went to a swap and gave away 15 young cockrels for free and I didn't ask what their fate was going to be. I had a Spanish-speaking family gratefully pack up every single one of them, so I have a pretty good idea chicken enchiladas are in their future. At the same swap, I was firm about selling a pair of Welsummers because the rooster was a perfect gentleman to people and hens, had excellent fertility and waaaay too good of a boy for soup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by