Siliver Laced Brahma Project. Share photos and experiences

Ok, anyone want to take a guess at gender?? The other chick is a partridge brahma, that I think is a roo.

34304_dsc_1581.jpg

34304_dsc_1561.jpg

so I got a pic of the two that don't have vulture hocks
fl.gif
think one is borderline which is why I thought I only had one without...
so what do you think? ironically I think these 2 are pullets
11313_067.jpg

11313_065.jpg

here is one with vulture hocks, 3 like this
11313_074.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome on the two....is it gender specific? All 3 with vulture hocks are cockerals and I think the two without are pullets...do you notice one gender gets them more?

Quote:
There is now a newly established "ongoing Brahma projects " threrad that was I started a few weeks ago, i wanted to be a little less limiting than to talk about one color variation since we do cross back in our projects from time to time. Beautiful birds, you should be real proud, and good luck on your project.

I will check out the general Brahma Project thread! Such gorgeous birds, all around.

Of those original chicks I hatched, only 2 survived. Quite odd, as all of the Marans of the same age they were brooded with thrived. The two remaining have giant vulture hocks, and grow and feather very slowly. I'll let them hang out, but I don't think I will be breeding my particular individuals. I've raised hundreds of chicks, and have never had any that were quite so hard to get started.

Quote:
I am also having problems with my silver laced chicks. I wonder if there just isn't enough diversity in the background of this new variety to strengthen the line. I have three out of my five in isolation right now with an unknown illness/lethargy.

I just had a broody give up on day 23! on 12 eggs:( 9 were viable and I put in bator but none made it I gave up yesterday and checked them all-all gone! It is heartbreaking but Im just going to keep on plugging! I have 4 running around now and all hens have stopped laying-one is broody too
roll.png

Quote:
Kind of forgot about this thread, I talked a bit about the vulture hock issue on one of the other Brahma threads earlier tonight.

Wimtexchick the cockerel in your second picture looks to have a single comb.

Back
Top Bottom