Silkie Air Pocket problem...

Quote:
This method works, but you should really candle from the top or the side. Directing the light up from the bottom of the egg doesn't give you as good of a view of what is going on as it does from the top or side. You will definitely see the air cell if you go from the other angles.

Quote:
This won't work because the air cell is fixed in place by the attachment of the membrane inside the shell. It doesn't hurt if it's off center or seems lopsided as the chick grows and the water content slowly evaporates. It's actually supposed to get larger as the egg incubates to allow for air and space for the chick to pip.

I candled it laying on its side and standing up. But I am sure that it is just too early for me to tell. It is my first time and I will just have to be patient. I don't want to handle them too much and mess them up. I can't wait for them to hatch. Thanks for the help.

Marie

Hello again folks,

Today is the begining of day 18. when do I increase the humididty in my Little Giant still air? My humididty right now is ranging from 50 to 55%. Is today the day I start raising it to 70%?

Also, when do I "step away from the bator" and not turn the eggs, and not open it? And, how long is the longest amount of time to leave the newly hatched chicks in the incubator till I move them to the brooder?

Sorry I'm so full of ?'s!

Asking questions are best before a calamity strikes. By asking them we all learn something new or different.

Start raising the humidity towards 70% on day 18 and quit turning at that time also.

As to how long to leave them in the hatcher, many don't remove any until the hatch is complete or there are just too many hatched peeps to leave in. I have no set time for when I remove them, I just do when they're dry and I have more than one hatched. Doesn't appear to affect my hatch in any way.

Day 18 is when I increase the humidity to 70% and do not open the incubator until the chicks have hatched. I recently had 36 out of 40 hatch and do well, 4 eggs developed but never pipped. On a couple of hatches before that I was overanxious and took chicks out as they hatched and some of the chicks pipped but never made it out of the shell so this time I left it closed and did much better! I have a Little Giant also but have the fan and automatic turner that I remove on day 18. Good luck!

Here's my next question (lol!)...
I have had one of the two plugs removed for the whole time. Do I need to replace it now? Or will that make the temp and humididty rise too high?

I tried the "wet a sock" to raise the humidity previously (when it got down into the low 30% range) and the sock thingy worked well. Should I use that to increase humidity, OR just add more water, OR add more water and put plug back in, OR add the wet sock and replace the plug, OR wet the sock and not replace the plug???

I'm laughing at myself as I write this! There are just TOO MANY FACTORS involved-aaakkkkk!!!

Do it whatever way you wish, as long as you get the humidity up to 70%. You want some air flow...I don't recall how I used to have the plugs when I had mine, i think it was one in and one out because if you get too much humidity, condensation will form on the windows. If you need to use the wet sock to get the humidity to stay up, do it.
Glad I don't have to worry about the air plugs being in or out anymore, I hated that, so I got a new bator! LOL

Yippy! So far 6 of 11 silkies have hatched! I have several OEGB's too that have hatched. The temp held steady at 100 degrees and 71% humidity. As they hatched the humidity went up to about 79%, so I just took both plugs out to let some moisture release.

The 2 silkies with the funny side air pocket have not pipped yet. Not sure if they will make it, but will definitely update soon.

It was awesome to see the first chick hatch (a silkie), and my children were there to see it last night about 10pm.

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom