Silkie and Easter Egger sexing help please! (Lots of pictures)

wayward

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
Most of the chicks in our pen have passed the 6 week mark, aside from a handful. We've decided it's time to start trying to identify their genders. I'll post pics of the ones I was able to hold still long enough for a photo, and our best guess as to what we think they might be. Now, I only want to know what you THINK they are, not what you claim to KNOW they are. I respect anyone's experience on the matter, but will let the flow of time and nature be the final judge. So here we go.

1. Whitey: Cockerel

2. Blackey: Pullet

3. Houdini: Cockerel

4: Samu: Pullet

5. Pidgey: Pullet

6. Shadow: Pullet-ish

7. Orange-Toes: not even sure enough to guess

8. Sumo: Pullet

9. Big Head: not sure, super dwarf

10. No name: cockerel, bares a striking resemblance to whitey

11. Nameless: cockerel

12. Nameless: Pullet

13. Nameless: cockerel

14. Buddy: Pullet

I'll stop there for now, I start to loose track of all the nameless silkies. Give me your best insight, I appreciate it!

Here are my guesses:

#1: I'd have to say pullet. I don't see any pointy feathers, and the comb appears to be small and pale.
#2: I agree, pullet.
#3: Probably cockerel, but Silkies and Silkie mixes are difficult to tell for sure
#4: Not sure. The comb is small, and "it" has a squat appearance, so I'm going to guess pullet.
#5: Pullet for now, but if you start seeing any red feathers in the wings, its likely a cockerel. The comb seems just a little too wide and large for me to be certain that it is a pullet.
#6: Pullet
#7: Too soon to tell. Post more pictures in a few weeks. But, I'm leaning towards cockerel
#8: Not sure again. Leaning towards pullet.
#9: Pullet
#10: Not sure on this one. The comb is redder than Whitey's, so I'm going to say cockerel.
#11: I can't see the face of this one, but stance leads me to guess cockerel.
#12: The comb on this one is rather red. My guess is cockerel, not pullet.
#13: Cockerel
#14: Pullet

You can't see it from the angle here, no one would cooperate, but Whitey's comb is actually very bright pink. He's also very noisy, fidgety, and kinda mean.

Back
Top Bottom