Help!! Please tell me these are not all cockerels and how to tell?

Hollykay

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2023
Hello! I have six 13 week old chicks. They are Easter Eggers. And I’m praying that they are not all Cockrells. I’ve seen so many confusing and varied descriptions on how to identify a Cockerel versus a pullet.

I’m hoping someone can clarify on what I should be looking for to help identify. I know about the pointy tail feathers, and I know that one is very obviously a Roo. (Cinnamon colored body with dark head. He has the distinctive tail and he has already crowd lol). But with this breed, they tend to have rounded feathers versus the pointy feathers.

I appreciate your help! I’m also happy to post additional photos if need be

Attachments

• IMG_7877.jpeg
    IMG_7877.jpeg
    734.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_7875.jpeg
    IMG_7875.jpeg
    546.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7873.jpeg
    IMG_7873.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_7879.jpeg
    IMG_7879.jpeg
    948 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_7876.jpeg
    IMG_7876.jpeg
    594 KB · Views: 137
It sucks to have to tell you this, but those are all cockerels. Whoever sold them to you did you an injustice. I would try to get my money back. In the meantime, start looking for homes, maybe on Craigslist, if you can't keep roosters.
Thank you! She truly had no idea either and feels badly. They’re all gorgeous and such mild mannered boys. So what are the identifying traits to tell? That’s what I’m trying to learn.

Hello! I have six 13 week old chicks. They are Easter Eggers. And I’m praying that they are not all Cockrells. I’ve seen so many confusing and varied descriptions on how to identify a Cockerel versus a pullet.

I’m hoping someone can clarify on what I should be looking for to help identify. I know about the pointy tail feathers, and I know that one is very obviously a Roo. (Cinnamon colored body with dark head. He has the distinctive tail and he has already crowd lol). But with this breed, they tend to have rounded feathers versus the pointy feathers.

I appreciate your help! I’m also happy to post additional photos if need be
All boys.. sorry. Also look up what sattle, sickle, and hackle feathers are, I am not good at explaining it, but you will find lots of helpful photos online.

Those shiny thin feathers on the back of the head dead give away the saddle feathers are usually shiny thin and pointy closer to the tail
Forgot to add the other picture. Also three rows of peas on a pea comb usually a boy so I have heard not too sure if that’s completely accurate.

Attachments

• A0D76BE3-B33F-4A29-897F-36235193C41B.jpeg
    A0D76BE3-B33F-4A29-897F-36235193C41B.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 122
Thank you! She truly had no idea either and feels badly. They’re all gorgeous and such mild mannered boys. So what are the identifying traits to tell? That’s what I’m trying to learn.
Okay, that makes it a little better for you then. I hope she replaces at least some of them with females.

At 14 weeks and earlier there shouldn't be much comb development nor comb color in females. These are old enough to have male specific feathering. If you look at their feathers, the coloring is patchy rather than even. Females will have an even color pattern, not alternating darker and lighter areas or areas of color patches in the back. It takes time to see it but you will get there. It's a learning process for us all.

Thanks, everyone for your patient explanations. I can’t even begin to tell you how many hours of research I’ve already done trying to find, in one place, the best ways to identify the sex of these Easter Eggers. Literally all I find is a bit of info here, and a bit of info there. 🤪. I’ve joined countless groups to try to find info, and generally all people want to say is “roos“ without the explanation of why. I had suspected for at least a month that they may all be roos. But, I was hoping I was wrong!

Back
Top Bottom