Silkie, Araucanas and (Dark) Brahmas, Oh My!

MichiganWoods

DD (Artistic Digital Diva)
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
West Michigan
Sorry for the not-so-hot photos this post. I'm beat. I was power raking, pulling weeds, digging holes, planting posts and setting up the fencing for the garden. I'm pooped. But as promised, here's some pics.
smile.png

First up, the Araucanas.

araucanasweek1a.jpg

araucanasweek1b.jpg

The dark one is feathering in rather black. I guess he will end up being a black bird after all. I was sure thinking/hoping blue due to the fluff. Maybe he will morph as more feathers grow in?

The light blue one seems to definitely be a splash. As the wing feathers are coming in, most of the feathers are blue, but along the bottom of the wing are a few white feathers. (That's splash, right?)

White gals are still white, and cute.
smile.png

Now the Silkie and Dark Brahmas.

silkbrahma_week1a.jpg

silkbrahma_week1b.jpg

I'd sure like to verify what color the Silkie is.
smile.png
I think it's blue... but I dunno.

Last edited:
Those pics are so cute! Looking at the araucana now that they're dry and fluffy, I'd say that one is a black and the other a blue. The blue will drop the white feathers when it matures. The white one looks like it will have wonderful tufts.
smile.png

Thank you silkieluver_07, urbanhatch and Jody!!

Yay, blue!
love.gif
I have to say that the little Araucanas have been very easy going. Very sweet little chicks. They are used to my camera flash now too and just sit there while I'm snapping photos. (Almost all of my chick/chickens get used to this!) I was excited to see that they were using their water bottle. I'd put a small waterer in another corner just in case, but I saw them last night poking at the ball in the tube and then all of them attacking the drop of water as it rolled out. Rather funny to watch.
smile.png
I think I got everything out of your eggs I was hoping for! Rumpless, tufted and at least one blue! And I like white and black too. We've only got one other white chicken and one other black chicken, so it will add a little more color variety to our flocks.

Back
Top Bottom