Boba My Silkie

Aug 25, 2023
Priceville, AL
My Coop
My Coop
So I know this is my first ever post on this site, but it's an important one. (Backstory: Me and my dad built an enclosure around the main coop so they had more room, there's a little space at the back just big enough for my silkie Boba) So one of my silkies just died from a raccoon because she wouldn't go back in the coop and got stuck in the fence. This is going to make me seem like a really bad owner, but I promise I tried to get her out. It got late, and I put a little box (plastic) around the outside of the fence where she was stuck. This morning, I went out to let them out of the coop, and the box was knocked down. I expected it was Boba and her fiery self who knocked it down and got out. So I opened the coop door, and only saw my other two silkies, Peanut and Cookie. She wasn't there. Then (tw) I saw a little black shape behind the fence, and, thinking it was Boba, went around it to say good morning and get her out. Her head was completely gone and feathers were everywhere and my sweet little baby, the only one that got along with both of the others, had no more head and was laying limp on the ground. I thought it was a fox, but no. Apparently raccoons do that. I'd like some tips on how to keep my other silkies healthy & really happy to make up for the loss I feel they might be experiencing. Boba was a black showgirl silkie, I know, not the prettiest breed, but she was so sweet.

Thank you for reading.

This is going to make me seem like a really bad owner
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Very sorry for you loss and experience. :(

It doesn't make you a bad owner.., it makes you an owner who paid a high price for a lesson.. Raccoon are crafty little devils.. half inch hardware cloth installed properly on all openings will stop them from reaching through and ripping heads off.. Now you know, if you didn't previously, that your flock is being watched and being stuck outside is a life or death situation.

I'd like some tips on how to keep my other silkies healthy & really happy to make up for the loss I feel they might be experiencing.
Well.. they may be a little confused about where she went and start to miss her.. the pecking order *may* go though some upheaval as it restructures, depending on where Boba's place in it was. Thankfully they didn't actually witness her demise.. which can be a little bit more traumatic.

So the best thing you can do for Silkies.. is good safe shelter with plenty of space, good feed (preferably not "layer"), good internal/external parasite control.. and not letting them sit excessively if they happen to be prone to broodiness. Pictures of your set up and description of your feed routine including treats and supplements. Also age/gender of birds being cared for and a general location or statement of the extremest weather patterns you have.. will make it easier to give "better" tips.

Boba was a black showgirl silkie, I know, not the prettiest breed, but she was so sweet.
Maybe not "pretty".. but still sometimes OH so cute! Please do share some of your fondest pics in loving memory of her life, if you have some!

:hugs

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Oh I am so sorry for your losses. :hugs As stated above, this doesn't make you a bad owner, predators lurk constantly to eat our birds. Things happen. Just try and keep your coop as predator proof as possible, if free ranging is too dangerous, a large run will be fine. You remaining birds may be shell shocked for a while, some birds even mourn the loss. Keep reassuring them its OK, sit quietly with them, let them know you are there for them.

I hope your heavy heart heals soon. ♥ :hugs

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Very sorry for you loss and experience. :(

It doesn't make you a bad owner.., it makes you an owner who paid a high price for a lesson.. Raccoon are crafty little devils.. half inch hardware cloth installed properly on all openings will stop them from reaching through and ripping heads off.. Now you know, if you didn't previously, that your flock is being watched and being stuck outside is a life or death situation.

Well.. they may be a little confused about where she went and start to miss her.. the pecking order *may* go though some upheaval as it restructures, depending on where Boba's place in it was. Thankfully they didn't actually witness her demise.. which can be a little bit more traumatic.

So the best thing you can do for Silkies.. is good safe shelter with plenty of space, good feed (preferably not "layer"), good internal/external parasite control.. and not letting them sit excessively if they happen to be prone to broodiness. Pictures of your set up and description of your feed routine including treats and supplements. Also age/gender of birds being cared for and a general location or statement of the extremest weather patterns you have.. will make it easier to give "better" tips.

Maybe not "pretty".. but still sometimes OH so cute! Please do share some of your fondest pics in loving memory of her life, if you have some!

:hugs
Thank you so much for this response. This is my first batch of chickens, and Boba meant a lot to me. The pecking order will not change, Boba was last in it, she never got picked on and never picked on anybody. I have food, not layer, and very good parasite control. We also do have bad weather, but I put them away for it.
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Oh I am so sorry for your losses. :hugs As stated above, this doesn't make you a bad owner, predators lurk constantly to eat our birds. Things happen. Just try and keep your coop as predator proof as possible, if free ranging is too dangerous, a large run will be fine. You remaining birds may be shell shocked for a while, some birds even mourn the loss. Keep reassuring them its OK, sit quietly with them, let them know you are there for them.

I hope your heavy heart heals soon. ♥ :hugs
Thank you so much for this response. I hope they don't mourn her too much into depression, but they definitely will. I'm always on the verge of tears thinking about her.

Back
Top Bottom