Silkie attacked by rooster!!

Thataussielady

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Queensland, Australia
Yesterday my silkie rooster was attacked by one of my other roosters. Although the other rooster is only a bantam he somehow got on top and was pecking around the head. Unfortunately when I reached them my poor silkie was rolling around and when I picked him up his head seem to be rolling to one side. I quickly isolated him away from my other chickens incase they tried to bully him. I have read somewhere that silkies have a soft spot right on the top of their head so I immediately started worrying, in fact I was surprised he even made through the night.
This morning he seemed fine and was eating and drinking so I decided to let him out under close supervision. Unfortunately a few minutes ago i saw him in the corner, standing (at least he wasn't rolling around any more) and looked very disoriented and he had trouble keeping his head straight.

I've isolated him again but I'm quite worried as I thought that he could have maybe just been in shock yesterday. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do or if it'll get better on its own?

Sounds like a neck/head injury. He should be back to normal in a few days/a week, and should be okay as long as he can eat/drink properly. Keep him under close watch and separate him if the aggressive rooster keeps getting at him. Hopefully he'll be okay. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. It was a major relief that he was at least eating/drinking. We may be thinking about giving our other rooster away as this isn't the first incident with him attacking another chicken. Hopefully he'll recover soon!

Back
Top Bottom