silkie bantam 1 day old

janice1970

Hatching
Jan 5, 2016
hi just need some advice please im a new mum to a silkie bantam it hatched yesterday at 1pm it seams to be opening and shutting its beak all time is this normal its in the brooder it dont seem to walk about a lot although it sleeps a lot trying alsorts to get it to drink tryed a bit of suger water to give it a boost . im willing to try anything please help thank you a worried mum xxx

How big and how warm is the brooder? Sounds like it might be too hot, maybe. The sleeping a lot is normal, babies do a lot of resting (hatching is hard work). The not eating is pretty normal too, they spend a couple of days absorbing their yolk. Be careful giving it water, its easy to make them aspirate, which will kill them.
Do you only have one chick? They do much better with company. Chickens are flock animals, they don't like to be alone...

ive got it in a very lrg box the temp is saying36.6c yes only one hatched i have put a little teddy in there with it so it not on its own

my chick now looks like it is gasping for air . its beak keeps opening and shutting plus its all body is wot looks like jerking every time beak opens is this normal . sory to be a pain im just a new mum that is very woried thank you xjan

well good news i have finally got a baby yahhhhh i hatched a serama out of 6 i got 2 with chicks in 1 hatched last monday the other didnt hatch so im the very proud mummy to a full of life chick its getting bigger and stronger ever day . were ever i walk in my house it follows im so pleased with it ive called it nugget it comes to its name being called haha it so cute now to get more eggs to put in incubater i think xxxx
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom