Silkie bantam with ascites?

DuckNana207

Chirping
May 26, 2020
Wisconsin
We have 6, 11 week old silkies. One of them (Lizzie) last night was not pecking/scratching. She was standing still making a cooing sound. It was close to " bedtime" so I didn't think anything of it... But this morning she was still acting the same (worse even). Last night I had looked up a few things, and I'm wondering if she has ascites. Her crop looks good, but her lower abdomen is big. Is it common in chickens this young? Can there be blockages in the abdomen, or is it usually fluid that causes this? Any advice is welcome! I hate to try and drain it if it could be something else.

Attachments

• PXL_20210707_141110081.jpg
    PXL_20210707_141110081.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20210707_141124387.jpg
    PXL_20210707_141124387.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 7
Lizzie passed away while I was holding her. We were getting her corid, and getting her own space ready. Thank you for your responses.

Also, should I give corid to the others as a precaution, or just watch carefully for symptoms?

Last edited:
Oh no! I'm sorry about Lizzie:(

Not sure what was happening with her, it may have been Coccidiosis or some an infection - without further investigation/testing there's no way to know.

Corid won't hurt the others if you wish to treat for Coccidiosis. That's up to you.
Powder Corid dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water or Liquid Corid is 2tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Oh no! I'm sorry about Lizzie:(

Not sure what was happening with her, it may have been Coccidiosis or some an infection - without further investigation/testing there's no way to know.

Corid won't hurt the others if you wish to treat for Coccidiosis. That's up to you.
Powder Corid dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water or Liquid Corid is 2tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Thank you! ❤️ I may just treat as a precaution, but the others seem to be doing well. I felt all their abdomens and they are normal.

Back
Top Bottom