Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Fancy Feathers, Jul 19, 2012.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

You mean "walnut comb" right. :)
    I agree that the black is not partridge but black leaking gold. I like the one that appears to be blue partridge which is a project color but can be shown AOV (all other varieties).

2. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York
    Good words of wisdom...

3. ChicksNherps

ChicksNherps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Bow, NH
    Got a new baby [​IMG] Called my friend who is a breeder here in NH to see if she had any babies for sale. She made one for sale for me, she is SO nice! She gave me a gorgeous little blue (pullet?). I'm gonna take some pictures soon, just gave her a bath so she needs to re-fluff [​IMG].

okay pictures! what do you all think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  4. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    Always a pleasure reading you ;)

5. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    Congratulation on your new girl! She is very cute and you can tell she is fluffly [​IMG].

6. ChicksNherps

ChicksNherps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Bow, NH
    yeah she's only 3 or 4 months old, can't exactly remember what Tammy said. She is SO mellow too! I had my chicken diaper on her and drove around with her to a few places on my lap and she just chilled, even took a nap on the way home because it was dark. She had her little head rested on my arm, it was adorable! She was perfect for her bath and blow dry too.

7. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Adorable!! Cute, cute bird! I sure hope it's a girl. The hackels are dark... which usually indicates boy. But blues are supposed to have a darker head and neck anyway with a bit of a lighter body, so it's a good color so far. But I noticed that the crest is lighter and the neck is darker...... so that is a sign of a boy, but just wait and see before you get too worried. They change colors a bit in there-- or at least my blues sure do. Really good toes, but lacking on the middle toe feathering, but not to worry, that is something that is doable and can work out with good breeding to a bird with better feathering. And you might get chicks that pop up better anyway, it's hard to say. So far, looking like a nice bird! I really like the color on this one!

awww, that is really sweet! Sounds like she's going to be really laid back! Do you have kids in 4-H or doing shows? If so, that would make a good Showmanship bird when it's matured! The judges really like calm birds that handle easily.

8. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    i sure wish i could find a silkie breeder around me :( x 20

9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Moomoo... I have the ASBC member directory right here on my desk.
    There are 20 listings for North Carolina.
    PM me and I can find one close to you.
    Please remember, just because they are listed, doesn't mean they will have chicks for sale right now, but it is a start.
    [​IMG] Roberta

10. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

This is the pesky Cooper's Hawk I was mentioning earlier in the week -- hiding under the bush (one of my chickens' favourite spots!) by my barn door, hoping to catch an unsuspecting bird. (He left immediately after I took his picture although he actually let me frame up to get this one. He's a bold little bugger!)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by