Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Fancy Feathers, Jul 19, 2012.

1. groundpecker

groundpecker Songster

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    That one has gotten a bit too brave. I say SSS the darn hawk.

2. ChicksNherps

ChicksNherps Songster

Jun 17, 2012
    Bow, NH
    Actually I recall her saying she was born in late august early september area, so 3 months.about. I checked the comb to see how large it looked and it looks like my pullets did, but here's to hoping it's a girl! I don't have any kids but I show now, and I have a therapy cat so it would be awesome to have a therapy chicken too! Just need to figure out the steps... don't want to bother with delta society again.... She does have some darker feathers on her head so the light might just be the baby fluff growing out, they do change colors drastically as they get older! Also, looking back at Nori's baby pictures, her foot feathering didn't look very good either, but now it's great, so maybe they will grow in.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  3. These are what hang around here. Very bold indeed!

4. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Songster

May 31, 2009
    NC
    Beautiful! Wish he'd take the hint and get lost. Shame to have to SSS him, but a gal's got to do what a gal's got to do. :)

5. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Songster

Apr 16, 2011

Is that legal? Not that I care....but I thought it was illegal to shoot hawks? Maybe just certain breeds.

6. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Songster

Apr 16, 2011
    Question: how many times can I collect from a male each day?

7. windzbreezy

windzbreezy Chirping

May 7, 2012
    nice

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

9. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

10. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Songster

May 31, 2009
    NC
    Legal, schmegal! (Just kidding...I swear.)

Honestly, though, I agree that it's better to invest more time/energy in protection and prevention than in trying to "eradicate" any singular threat. But one question, out of curiosity: why do Coopers Hawks keep the larger Red-Tailed birds away? Are they more aggressive?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by