Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Well, as long as she keeps running away from him when he is trying to mate with her - then yes - he will keep doing it. She is SUPPOSED to stop and squat down so he can mate - NOT run away! Or course - if he is young and hasn't figured out what he is doing yet and his hormones are raging ... that may also be a problem. It will go away when he grows up if that is the case.

With Silkies I have noticed some Silkie boys just aren't sure how to get the girl, and those girls play hard to get! Sometimes I think that is more the problem with fertility than the big fluffy butts. Once they had it figured out the fertility went way up - without any trimming or fussing. Rooster flirts - rears up, hen squats down, roo jumps on and shoots, off he jumps and hen shakes off and goes back to eating, scratching - whatever. No fuss, and fertile eggs.
i had them both since they were 4 weeks old that was like last summer so they are around 1 and a half but he has one kid so far and that was with a bigger then that was 4 months ago ... i see the other silkie rooster mate her sometimes but my silver partridge grew up with the hen so i thought it would be better and she wouldn't run but she does and she doesn't she is mostly with him and not with the other rooster .. i have 2 pairs ... so im not sure why he does it but i hope its nothing just not good at mating or never got the hang of it

Quote:
Probably she doesn't think he is dominant of her even though (or maybe because) she grew up with him. If she lets the other rooster mate then the other is dominant to her.

Oh, you say your boy only has one girl? Well - that might be the other problem - Silkie boys can usually handle 4-5 girls - and with only one he wants to make her 4-5 times more than she wants to be mated.. so that may be why she is running. When you get a bigger flock hopefully that will cure the problem.

It could also be he hasn't figured it out yet too. My one Partridge boy I got at over a year old - well he was being too nice and none of the hens would squat for him - and so none of the eggs were fertile. When I moved them into a cage side-by-side with a much more dominant roo I think the Partridge boy got some lessons from watching him about being boss and now I have seen him mate the Partridge Hen and the Buff hen (that is until she decided to go broody.. again
roll.png
) I am working on getting him more girls too.

Probably she doesn't think he is dominant of her even though (or maybe because) she grew up with him. If she lets the other rooster mate then the other is dominant to her.

Oh, you say your boy only has one girl? Well - that might be the other problem - Silkie boys can usually handle 4-5 girls - and with only one he wants to make her 4-5 times more than she wants to be mated.. so that may be why she is running. When you get a bigger flock hopefully that will cure the problem.

It could also be he hasn't figured it out yet too. My one Partridge boy I got at over a year old - well he was being too nice and none of the hens would squat for him - and so none of the eggs were fertile. When I moved them into a cage side-by-side with a much more dominant roo I think the Partridge boy got some lessons from watching him about being boss and now I have seen him mate the Partridge Hen and the Buff hen (that is until she decided to go broody.. again
roll.png
) I am working on getting him more girls too.
well he is the dominate one the other one is scared of him because the bigger silkie roo (SP) does the wing dance thing and then the other rooster leaves .. they fought at first and rudy my SP back down but a while later they fought again and he backed down so i think the SP is dominate and they went in with my big rooster and only my SP would fight the big roo and the BB PB roo wouldn't even go near him so i think the SP is dominate .. i use to let my SP run with the main flock and he had chances to mate but he mostly ended up mating the ground so i think he just doesn't know how to mate or something and he is with the BB PB rooster and he mates his hen and my SP watches and stuff so i don't think he is learning .. there are not many people who sell adult silkies .. my BB PB was with a breeder i know and he has tons of kids .. my friend had 30 of his kids and i have one of his kids so he is producing fine

Back
Top Bottom