Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Thanks. I have one rooster weighing in at 44 oz and another at 50 oz. Too big, which is depressing as they are really only barely a year old. My hen is 36 oz.

If you look under forums>exhibitions & showing>Silkies and genetics (has 700+ pages), I think I read that silkies over the weight can still be showed but lose points based on the amount over. The one weighing 50oz is way too heavy if it's a Bantam Silkie and I would recommend against showing & breeding him. The smaller cock at 44oz might be okay. You could try to find smaller hens to breed him to.

My two chicks are a month old to my eye the quality looks great. When we talk about SOP from chick to adult at a month old what can you tell would be SQ attributes to look at? For instance we can look at feet and color but some chicks may have a little white on black as a chick but will grow out to be Black but what would the white mean as to there genetic makeup or do we even need to worry about it at this young age? My chicks had a little white on there breasts but growing out to be black.
IMG_20170913_113824401.jpg
IMG_20170926_161130791.jpg
IMG_20170926_161249042.jpg

Yes that's the part I'm mostly concerned about. I know leakage is an issue in paint anyway. So I'm worried I should just let him out due to it. And then on top of it I have no idea what to expect from a paint x cuckoo breeding. Leave the sizzle/frizzle aspect out. The colors are my main worry.
If you breed the paint to the cuckoo you may get Blue black and splash. The black in the silkies is used for bbs color and the white may be recessive in your case.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here. We bought eggs from show hens. Black, blue, buff , white and possibly a show girl. Got some blues and 1 white. This one has different fuzz and feather curl on the wing.
So anyone?...
20171002_203130.jpg

20171002_203053.jpg

20171002_203007.jpg

Thanks Scott

Back
Top Bottom