Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

lol.... not sprayed at all.....this is a porcelain from Catdance she was 4 months in the last picture......the crest is a beautiful silver.....her body shimmers pinkish.....I named her pearl because that is exactly what she looks like....everytime she walks you see different colors........I LOVE Karen Larsen's porcelains,she is doing amazing things with the color. This pullet took best AOV at just 4 months....picture same pullet 2 months old
Very pretty girl. Congratulation!

These are not easy questions to answer and I am not the most experienced breeder but this is what I know. The fact is, you probably can't tell if a "black" bird comes from an exclusively black line or out of a BBS pen. You can get good blacks out of a blue pen and bad blacks out of a black pen. The truth is often only revealed later in life (after a moult), more so from males (leakage), as the feathers age (and fade), and from breeding.

You could test mate a "black" with splash birds. If it is truly black, all the offspring will be blue. If you end up with some splash birds, you know the bird is carrying Bl (blue).

The focus in a B/B/S pen is usually blue so the black is allowed to slide. Typically, they aren't as "black" as they should be. Often most noticeable in the bum fluff (a faded, smutty sort of colour.)

As for coming up with good blacks, all you can do is try. Breed them together and watch how the black develops and maintains. I've shown Silkies out of a Blue/Splash breeding as blacks and done well with them. For me, just be honest with anyone that might be buying stock from you about the origin of your blacks.
I suppose this is the best bet to find out. I will have to be patient and add my blue with my splash and see what the offspring would be.

Quote:
There is SO much more to judging than just colour. In fact, colour is probably rather low on the list. Every judge has his or her own priorities. DO ask the judge for their opinion and make it clear that you really would like to learn so they feel free to give you an honest opinion but also, keep in mind, it is just THEIR opinion of the bird on that day. Next weekend, different day, different judge, might be a whole new ballgame.

I see the darker head and hackle on your bird. It definitely doesn't look like a "self-blue" (aka. lavender) to me. It's a blue bird. Blue is a tough colour. Don't take it personally. And keep learning!!!
I think the question about colour is because that is what was marked on the card.

"Self-blue" is the show name for lavender which requires two copies of the lav gene. Completely unrelated to anything from a B/B/S pen. A "Blue" is supposed to have a dark hackle and head but it doesn't always happen even with hard feathered birds. But that doesn't make it "self-blue".
X2. :)
Ok so I went to the show today and here are my two girls I took...splash and a blue...

My splash was not in the best of condition but came 4th out of 7...and my blue girls won 1st and BV out of 5 so i was happy
wee.gif

...a really nice lady from North Carolina who only breeds splash had amazing splash silkies...some of the best I'd seen and she won BB and RB..

oh and I came home with a quad of bantan cochins...splash and blue mottled...
hide.gif
ya.gif

I bet you are soooo excited!!! A big congratulations to you!!
I can't remember who was wanting good quality white silkies but do remember they live in GA. There is going to be a woman at the Newnan, GA show Feb.16th who has beautiful ones. She has been breeding, I believe, 14 years now. I am getting a pair from her when I meet her at the show. Her name is Kathy Barba of Fancy Dancin Chickens. She was at a show I attended last Nov and I am still kicking myself for not buying the pair she had there.

My problem with my true blacks is I cannot get a male!! Any other time I would have 5 but not the blacks. I want an all black pen in order to continue the true blacks. I do need to post more pics of mine to know absolutely for certain they all are true black. I have 2 hens and a black SG. I guess that is what I will be looking for at the Newnan show if I can't find reliable eggs. Actually for my breeding I would rather see what I am getting unless someone her suggest a breeder I can trust.

I have 3 Blue SG roos...they are pet quality. Their wattles and combs are a dark red. This is not acceptable right? They are nice but too many flaws for anything other than to make pretty yard ornaments.

When I was cleaning feet last week I noticed something. A lot of my silkies don't have a toenail on the outside toes....and a lot of these are unrelated. Is this common...maybe from scratching?
Missing outside toenail is usually cause by heavy foot feathering. There is a term for it that I can't remember. It is not a serious fault in my opinion. I'd rather have the feathering than the nail but both is better. :)
OK...my buff pullet...comments please! She is 5 mo. old. What age does pullets have to be to show?
She was walking away before I could get the pic

A little unbalanced on the wire...will try for better pics as soon as the muck is gone this week.....I hope.
roll.png

And here is the booty

Will have to get a better pic of the feet

\\

Top of her feet....as well as mine..
big_smile.png

I am giving her a bath this week....will send better pics then...just want to get an idea before I get my hopes up.
Since no one has offered to help, I will give my not so expert opinion as I don't have buff. She is a beautiful girl! I love her feet! The photos don't show her type well. Nice tail. Though I love the color, it is too light and she appears to need more crest. I also suspect her wings are loose but hard to say with a couple of photos. Be sure to check her wing fan for large gaps that could be split wing.
These are not easy questions to answer and I am not the most experienced breeder but this is what I know. The fact is, you probably can't tell if a "black" bird comes from an exclusively black line or out of a BBS pen. You can get good blacks out of a blue pen and bad blacks out of a black pen. The truth is often only revealed later in life (after a moult), more so from males (leakage), as the feathers age (and fade), and from breeding.

You could test mate a "black" with splash birds. If it is truly black, all the offspring will be blue. If you end up with some splash birds, you know the bird is carrying Bl (blue).

The focus in a B/B/S pen is usually blue so the black is allowed to slide. Typically, they aren't as "black" as they should be. Often most noticeable in the bum fluff (a faded, smutty sort of colour.)

As for coming up with good blacks, all you can do is try. Breed them together and watch how the black develops and maintains. I've shown Silkies out of a Blue/Splash breeding as blacks and done well with them. For me, just be honest with anyone that might be buying stock from you about the origin of your blacks.
Well, said.
wink.png

Very pretty girl. Congratulation!
X2!!

On the subject of light blue vs. self-blue. Here is a picture of my self-blue cockerel. Even on a male, there is no darker shade on the head and hackle.

Ok so I went to the show today and here are my two girls I took...splash and a blue...
My splash was not in the best of condition but came 4th out of 7...and my blue girls won 1st and BV out of 5 so i was happy
wee.gif

...a really nice lady from North Carolina who only breeds splash had amazing splash silkies...some of the best I'd seen and she won BB and RB..
oh and I came home with a quad of bantan cochins...splash and blue mottled...
hide.gif
ya.gif
Congrats on your placings! :)

When I was cleaning feet last week I noticed something. A lot of my silkies don't have a toenail on the outside toes....and a lot of these are unrelated. Is this common...maybe from scratching?
It is called Brachydactyly and that term literally means a shortness of the digit. I have a bird with it, BUT she still has a nail. You want them to have the nail, and if the toe is a bit shorter, fine. I think most breeders agree that it's linked with the heavier foot feathering, but I don't think there are any real studies that haven proven that to be correct. It's common in silkies and cochins and I think brahmas. There are a lot of discussions on it.

Anyone have any thoughts to share?
great questions. I only knew #2--- how to tell blue from black. You just have to test breed it. Breed to splash and your only result should be blue. If you don't get 100% blue, then you have a blue bird and not black.

thumbsup.gif

I suppose this is the best bet to find out. I will have to be patient and add my blue with my splash and see what the offspring would be.
hatch no less than 6 to test and see. I'd go with 10 or 12. You'll know for sure then. :)

Sonoran, great advice!

Agreed on the quality-- lacking beard and crest, long back. And yes I do remember who said that we should not comment if we are not working on that color-- and it wasn't me! LOL (or anyone who's been on recently) But it really was a good point. I think the bird looks blue and I would agree with blue partridge... since I used have blue partridge. But other than that, I'm by far, not an expert on that color.
hmm.png

Sure it was you...post #2427 on page 243.
hu.gif

Yea i

Hey jacqui...I must had missed you? I did meet two other people there...was yours one of the blacks? I wish I had said hi...was it your first show?[/quoteI

Yea it was my first show :) I didn't expect much from my girl, but she loved being at the show! She didn't want to leave the cage.lol. She liked her new friends. I was happy with 4th. It was a tad intimidating at first, but I had a blast. I will be at the newnan show, are you going? I just obtained another silkie (she won 1st at the Jefferson show).

I can't remember who was wanting good quality white silkies but do remember they live in GA. There is going to be a woman at the Newnan, GA show Feb.16th who has beautiful ones. She has been breeding, I believe, 14 years now. I am getting a pair from her when I meet her at the show. Her name is Kathy Barba of Fancy Dancin Chickens. She was at a show I attended last Nov and I am still kicking myself for not buying the pair she had there.

My problem with my true blacks is I cannot get a male!! Any other time I would have 5 but not the blacks. I want an all black pen in order to continue the true blacks. I do need to post more pics of mine to know absolutely for certain they all are true black. I have 2 hens and a black SG. I guess that is what I will be looking for at the Newnan show if I can't find reliable eggs. Actually for my breeding I would rather see what I am getting unless someone her suggest a breeder I can trust.

I have 3 Blue SG roos...they are pet quality. Their wattles and combs are a dark red. This is not acceptable right? They are nice but too many flaws for anything other than to make pretty yard ornaments.

Thanks A LOT!! Just sent her an email.

Yea i
Hey jacqui...I must had missed you? I did meet two other people there...was yours one of the blacks? I wish I had said hi...was it your first show?[/quoteI

Yea it was my first show :) I didn't expect much from my girl, but she loved being at the show! She didn't want to leave the cage.lol. She liked her new friends. I was happy with 4th. It was a tad intimidating at first, but I had a blast. I will be at the newnan show, are you going? I just obtained another silkie (she won 1st at the Jefferson show).

I realized I quoted myself within your comment. Stupid phone. Haha

Back
Top Bottom