Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I keep track of every parent of every chick so if something pops up I can track and see if its happening again and how frequently. It's more work of course but worth the extra effort.
I have done that as well up until over the holidays when we had 4 pullets start laying, so I just put them in the pen because I didn't want them in the with cockerels anymore, for obvious reasons. I could just kick myself.
hit.gif
I am so disappointed that this chick's beak is twisted, its one of the nicest chicks. Very typey.

I have done that as well up until over the holidays when we had 4 pullets start laying, so I just put them in the pen because I didn't want them in the with cockerels anymore, for obvious reasons. I could just kick myself.
hit.gif
I am so disappointed that this chick's beak is twisted, its one of the nicest chicks. Very typey.

I got one cross beak from a pair and never got another in dozens of chicks so don't be too worried.

I have a question about genetics and paints. From what I have read the exact genetics of paints is not really known but I am far from knowlegable. I am wondering what you think a paint X splash would produce. My guess is splash since paint seems to be recessive. Has anyone tried this?

I have a question about genetics and paints. From what I have read the exact genetics of paints is not really known but I am far from knowlegable. I am wondering what you think a paint X splash would produce. My guess is splash since paint seems to be recessive. Has anyone tried this?

I would assume blue or maybe even black (perhaps in the background of the Paint?) since splash requires two copies of the Bl gene to express. I don't think you'll get splash at any rate, or paint.

I have a question about genetics and paints.  From what I have read the exact genetics of paints is not really known but I am far from knowlegable.  I am wondering what you think a paint X splash would produce.  My guess is splash since paint seems to be recessive.  Has anyone tried this?

I would guess blue paint... However I am not an expert! You may get all splash or all white chicks too.

Just got back from The ABA national in Stockton Ca....Western Silkie National Show................My daughter Brooke got Res of breed with a pullet just turning 6 months from Catdance. Love Karen's stock.Just imagine how stunning she will be in 2 more months.
Congratulations! That is so exciting!

I got one cross beak from a pair and never got another in dozens of chicks so don't be too worried.
Thank you for the support.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom