Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Which is the preferred? Vaulted or non vaulted?
Personally I dont prefer one over the other. When mine are adults I cant tell one from the other without looking at records. If they have the genetics for big crests they will be big ,vaulted or not. If they dont the vault may make it look taller but it wont necessarily grow into a huge crest. I think there is more chance of head trauma with the vaulted skull.

Okay thanx yall yea i think they are more suseptable to things like wry neck so if someone would gt a good quality silkie but a vaulted crest they would need to be watched carefully doesnt a vaulted skull also mean their skull has holes and is softer?

Does anyone on this thread ship chicks? I am looking to start doing do next year as I am getting requests to do so. I do not sell day old chicks so this is where I need some help. I like to watch chicks for 1-2 weeks before letting them go to new homes. So can I still ship them as chicks or do the rules of adult birds come into play? I have read the regulations but everything refers to "day old" chicks or adult birds. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

I am hoping to get some silkie chicks shipped to me this spring from a breeder who doesn't ship until they are
3-4 weeks old. She feels they can handle the stress of shipping well at that age.

Two brand new units from the same company. Usually they differ by 3 degrees and 3 percent...sigh.
a4emy4em.jpg

I am hoping to get some silkie chicks shipped to me this spring from a breeder who doesn't ship until they are
3-4 weeks old. She feels they can handle the stress of shipping well at that age.

Thank you - that is what I was thinking as well for age. Now I just have to figure how I am shipping - under "adult" or chick. I would love talk to someone who does it like that.

Back
Top Bottom