Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Quote:
Me too. I just wish I found the cure before :(
I am so glad that your bird is getting better. I was just about ready to hop on a plane and come help you nurse her back to good health.
smile.png

I have heard of giving brewers yeast and cod liver oil to chickens, but I'm just not sure of the amount and frequency. Since Vitamin E is good for healing, I would think that it could help the skin on this bird. You could give it orally, soak it in a small piece of bread or rub it directly onto the skin. I believe the maximum oral dose is 400 mg, 3 times per day.

Since you have been taking such good care of this bird for so long, I would suggest choosing whatever supplementation is least stressful on you. It can get very emotionally draining to take care of sick birds for extended periods of time. You are a good chicken mom and put so much effort into helping this bird!
hugs.gif

okay so I am going to wait until Toulouse leaves to try hatching eggs for myself, but does anyone want to take a few that I collect this week and test them for me? Needs to be someone local, you can have however many I can collect this week free. So far I have 2, but one I am not certain about because it was cold when I collected it this morning so not sure if it was laid yesterday or today early.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am so glad that your bird is getting better. I was just about ready to hop on a plane and come help you nurse her back to good health.
smile.png

I have heard of giving brewers yeast and cod liver oil to chickens, but I'm just not sure of the amount and frequency. Since Vitamin E is good for healing, I would think that it could help the skin on this bird. You could give it orally, soak it in a small piece of bread or rub it directly onto the skin. I believe the maximum oral dose is 400 mg, 3 times per day.

Since you have been taking such good care of this bird for so long, I would suggest choosing whatever supplementation is least stressful on you. It can get very emotionally draining to take care of sick birds for extended periods of time. You are a good chicken mom and put so much effort into helping this bird!
hugs.gif
Thank you so much Tina, it means a lot!!!!
Her skin is far from being back to normal but I can see some improvement. I might treat her with some Permethrin as soon as receive it. Great idea on the vitamin E, I will start tomorrow. Thanks again for being so caring!

I believe I was told by the breeder she is a TRUE blue, she has lacing. Not a self blue which to my understanding would be from lavender and have no lacing. Am i correct on that assumption? My camera does Not do her justice. Its a cell phone camera and the colors don't come through true in the pictures. However i can try to get some better pictures where you can see her lacing a bit better! :)

I believe I was told by the breeder she is a TRUE blue, she has lacing. Not a self blue which to my understanding would be from lavender and have no lacing. Am i correct on that assumption? My camera does Not do her justice. Its a cell phone camera and the colors don't come through true in the pictures. However i can try to get some better pictures where you can see her lacing a bit better!
smile.png
I didn't think Blue's had lacing?

Edit: okay the blue color is supposed to have lacing but silkies you can't really see it. It's smudged. But yeah do you have a pic?

Last edited:
What do you think? Color and type? I know they are not the best pics. I was having a hard time getting them to cooperate. I will have to get more but based on these what do you think? I am pretty pleased, I think. Thanks!!!

Darker blue

These two are the same

Lighter blue

These two are the same

These two are the same

Back
Top Bottom