Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Thank you so much Tina, it means a lot!!!!
Her skin is far from being back to normal but I can see some improvement. I might treat her with some Permethrin as soon as receive it. Great idea on the vitamin E, I will start tomorrow. Thanks again for being so caring!

I take ground flaxseed everyday and it greatly improved my skin, hair and nails. It took a few weeks to see the change. My nails are so strong now and never peel. I feed flaxseed to my silkies.

What do you think? Color and type? I know they are not the best pics. I was having a hard time getting them to cooperate. I will have to get more but based on these what do you think? I am pretty pleased, I think. Thanks!!!

Darker blue

These two are the same

Lighter blue

These two are the same

These two are the same
Looks like 3 blue partridge's (if that's what you were asking lol) I REALLY like the first one, she's pretty and looks like she has good type. The other ones are hard to tell, their backs look pretty long but it could just be the way they are holding themselves.

What do you think? Color and type? I know they are not the best pics. I was having a hard time getting them to cooperate. I will have to get more but based on these what do you think? I am pretty pleased, I think. Thanks!!!

Darker blue

These two are the same

Lighter blue

These two are the same

These two are the same
They are young,still have a ton of pin feathers. I find a nice wash and blow dry makes all the difference.I try to clean up all those shafts especially before a show. Helps speed up the clock a little bit when I am on the fence about a bird.

Is there anyone in this thread from Missouri? I live about an hour North of Springfield Mo. I've a 1.5yr old female Silky brooding for 4th time in a year. 2-9mo old Black female Silkies & 1 6mo old Silky/Showgirl mix, sex undetermined. I'm wanting a Male Splash Silky for my girls. Willing to trade one of my younger females or buy a male.

This is my Hen "Itty Bitty" getting a dry job after a much needed bath.

I finally couldnt take anymore drama from my bachelor pen. I just separated all of them, each teenager has their own pen now. How are you supposed to grow them out to see who develops the overall nicest appearance when they are pulling eachothers feathers out all over the place? They pulled all the feathers out of my white cockerels tail, he's just a mess. I'm so over having all these boys. A couple of them are just JERKS and I threaten them with being fed to the dog. If you saw my dog....you'd laugh!
gig.gif
It would be more like feeding the dog to the rooster.
Another disappointment, my gorgeous BBS black cockerel has developed slipped wings. He's SUPER nice everywhere else. I have found that slipped wings are HIGHLY likely to show up in chicks. Such a shame, he's gotta find a new home. I will practically give him away.

I take ground flaxseed everyday and it greatly improved my skin, hair and nails. It took a few weeks to see the change. My nails are so strong now and never peel. I feed flaxseed to my silkies.
I use flaxseed too. I really like it. I just sprinkle a bit in my morning fruit bowl.
I finally couldnt take anymore drama from my bachelor pen. I just separated all of them, each teenager has their own pen now. How are you supposed to grow them out to see who develops the overall nicest appearance when they are pulling eachothers feathers out all over the place? They pulled all the feathers out of my white cockerels tail, he's just a mess. I'm so over having all these boys. A couple of them are just JERKS and I threaten them with being fed to the dog. If you saw my dog....you'd laugh!
gig.gif
It would be more like feeding the dog to the rooster.
Another disappointment, my gorgeous BBS black cockerel has developed slipped wings. He's SUPER nice everywhere else. I have found that slipped wings are HIGHLY likely to show up in chicks. Such a shame, he's gotta find a new home. I will practically give him away.
Those cockerels are me driving crazy too. I have 3 that are poor/ pet quality and it reminds me I gotta find them new home. I am sorry about the split wings. It is so disappointing to find out, especially when they have very nice type. I am very disappointed too because I have a very nice pullet that has duck feet. She is gorgeous and I am so mad at myself for not paying attention before. Lesson learned :(

I use flaxseed too. I really like it. I just sprinkle a bit in my morning fruit bowl.
Those cockerels are me driving crazy too. I have 3 that are poor/ pet quality and it reminds me I gotta find them new home. I am sorry about the split wings. It is so disappointing to find out, especially when they have very nice type. I am very disappointed too because I have a very nice pullet that has duck feet. She is gorgeous and I am so mad at myself for not paying attention before. Lesson learned :(
Oh, so sorry...
hugs.gif
Hate it when that happens. I feel like I am constantly looking at mine, always finding something new.

It is so upsetting because she has so much potential, I mean she had :(
I am so attached to her, so of course it is difficult to let her go to someone I don't know, and it's silly but I am too scared she would no be taking care as well as she is here. Writing this make me understand I need to add a pet coop lol.

It is so upsetting because she has so much potential, I mean she had :(
I am so attached to her, so of course it is difficult to let her go to someone I don't know, and it's silly but I am too scared she would no be taking care as well as she is here. Writing this make me understand I need to add a pet coop lol.

Is duck feet when the back toes points forward? Are you sure it's hereditary?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom