Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Such pretty, clean feet! Nails look great to me. I shouldn't comment, since I don't show, but I would trim the sharp tips so he won't scratch the judge! :D
They were only clean because he had just had a bath. They don't look that nice anymore.
lol.png

I will file away every here and there when I have time to do so. Worst case, I'll definitely trim the sharp tips before the show.

Filing a little bit each week will cause the quick to recede.

yeah you can really tell the difference beween Ice and Nori's nails, I do ice's regularly but no Nori's so hers are pretty long. I can post pics later. But yes I would file the ends a little.

Thanks everyone!

This is a fun mystery.
Four weeks ago, I hatched a teeny tiny self-blue chick. It was smaller than half size normal. I was sure it wouldn't survive but it is fine so far. The odd thing is, that it's feathering is coming in crinkled. I've never seen a sizzle or frizzle in person so I don't know if it looks like this, but wondering if anyone has experienced this.

What would you get if you have a partridge roo and a buff hen?
Two chickens? One fertile egg?
lau.gif
Sorry - my silly sense of humor.

Did you mean if you crossed them - what color(s) would the children be?

If they are both pure for type and don't have any hidden genes you will get Smutty Buff. Any hidden genes and you will get wildcards all over the place. Best way to see the possibilities of genetics in chickens colorings is the Chicken Genetics Calculator: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html - Have fun!

This is a fun mystery.
Four weeks ago, I hatched a teeny tiny self-blue chick. It was smaller than half size normal. I was sure it wouldn't survive but it is fine so far. The odd thing is, that it's feathering is coming in crinkled. I've never seen a sizzle or frizzle in person so I don't know if it looks like this, but wondering if anyone has experienced this.

That is one really cute chick. I haven't seen any sizzles or lav Silkies as chicks before, but I do know the Lav gene can make the feathers more prone to splitting on the smooth feathered birds (like my Ameraucanas). Its something breeders are trying to eliminate because the feather quality is not good. On a silkie you might not notice it (since they are already split) but it might cause this when they are younger?

Since we're on the subject of feet ...
This is one of my daughter's silkie babies she just HAD to have. I realize she won't be able to show this chick, but I'm curious if this extra little "toe" or extra "nail" is common in silkies. The chick has no issues with mobility, and it's happy as the others. It's other foot is completely normal though. I just found it odd to have a 6 toed/nailed silkie. I'm assuming this 6th toe/nail will be genetically passed on too?
idunno.gif

This is one of my daughter's silkie babies she just HAD to have. I realize she won't be able to show this chick, but I'm curious if this extra little "toe" or extra "nail" is common in silkies. The chick has no issues with mobility, and it's happy as the others. It's other foot is completely normal though. I just found it odd to have a 6 toed/nailed silkie. I'm assuming this 6th toe/nail will be genetically passed on too?
idunno.gif

I don't have one, but I have heard of it before, and it is a genetic trait that will be passed to its offspring.

I have a partridge Silkie rooster I could put in my pear tree
wink.png

Last edited:
Maybe it's just the makings of a house chicken. 11 toes are special. Now if I can get my husband to agree ....
fl.gif

Finally we had a day with weather nice enough to take a few pics. I have been anxious to show you my little SG silkie and see what all of you think about her. She is about 4 months old..so she still has a little ways to go.

Don't have a clue what kinda pose you call this one. ;-)

OK....looking forward to your comments! Hoping to show her as a pullet in May
Very nice SG.
This is a fun mystery.

I remembered about that little guy... I have never seen any sizzle or frizzle either, so I can't really give you any input but she / he cute as a button.
idunno.gif

I have never owned a silkie with a nail in the middle, but I have heard of it. I would avoid breeding him/ her because it will pass on, but he/ she could make a perfect pet.

OMG
clap.gif
love.gif
I think I'll just make a house chicken out of it anyways. Surely he won't notice a chicken in a dress running around his feet! My 10 yr old squealed when she saw those! I'm creating a monster!

Back
Top Bottom