Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Thank you. He's a real sweetie. I have him in the juvie pen because he refuses to breed. He has no interest at all in hens. He's not the best babysitter either but he is very tame and loveable to people. I don't know but somebody should remember that song that has the lyrics, "I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my had, so sexy it hurts." Well, thats the attitude he has. I should have named him Vain instead of Freckles. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

hmm.. yellow and silver... Golden Roosters? - I hope there is something else in the mix that causes that - other than being roosters..

That was what I asked.. if maybe it was a splash. But it came out of a blue/black crossing I believe she said..

I wish they were pure Partridge - but they are a cross I am working on to get nice non-bearded Partridges. They are F1 from a non-bearded Red Partridge rooster to what I have.. which is a Blue hen, a Buff hen and a Blue frizzle (for fun). I have no clue HOW I got the 4 babies I have out so far - I have two more in the 'bator trying to hatch out now (one Sumatra, one Silkie egg).. so I sure hope this tells me more about what is under these birds (not the Sumatra
wink.png
)... VERY CONFUSING! 4 more in there not doing anything.. yet.. but it is only SUPPOSED to be day 20! Good grief on the early birds - and I was not ready!

I have two yellow ones with stripes (one partridge striped, one just lines), one buff one (that is obviously from the buff girl) and one.. silver?
hmm.png

Ok, not great pictures but here you go..

Two yellow with stripes and the silvery one

All four - first one to left is UP (first one, born on day 18 by my count), next one at top is yellow chipmunk (#2), hiding one was born this morning and one to right is the Buff baby (#3) - with a few stripes. I sure hope buff baby is a girl because her mom has the best poof and shape.. and if I cross her back to my rooster I will have a chance for Partridge next generation.

These chicks sure have a lot of partridge markings early though - I did not expect any Partridge markings until F2...

I hatched one out of my very first hatch that looked like your yellow with the stripes. Ended up being a splash partridge mix. I'm curious about the silvery one. Cute babies!

Quote: Ooh, Splash Partridge - that would be cute.

I am only getting more and more confused, I didn't think the rooster was Blue... I guess I will tell my mother I HAVE to keep all the babies if I am going to make heads or tails out of what my birds carry!
wink.png

I was out there studying him in the sun today - he appears almost brown. It could be fading because of the sun - but he does have the pretty green on his black feathers too.. So Confused...

I have another Partridge marked baby - this time with a definite buff overtone - so I would say that one is from the Buff girl too. But this has much clearer Partridge stripes.

This is SOOO FUN!

Peepblessed, meet Owl.. Owl - this is Peepblessed...

I may need better pictures of him.. but he doesn't stand still very well..

He does have the brown/black on his feathers. His underfluff is pretty dark too... Really nice green sheen on his back and his tail in the sun.
He looks partridge in this picture. Did you say he had white wings?
I have what was suppose to be a paint silkie but he had blue spots instead of black. Is this another color? I've shown him as a paint and he's won till the last show and there was a paint that had black spots right next to my guy with blue spots. Mine is white with blue spots. He isn't a splash but more like a blue paint. Does anybody know if this could be the beginning of another color or is it out there already? That last show he was in he got 2nd place still but he is not the paint that I wanted. I love him anyway and if I can convince him to breed I would like to try to get more like him.

The pics aren't the best quality but other than the blue spots his other feathers are white. No blue hue to them at all. Just like a paint would have white feathers with black spots. He has great everything else that is suppose to be a good show bird but those blue spots. I would appreciate imput from those that are more experienced in showing, genetics and breeding for this particular color.

Thanks for your time
I also have seen pictures of blue paints. He is just gorgeous! Maybe you could show him as a "Blue Paint". After he wins his class he will go again all the other AOV's.

I plan to show him again but i'll enter him as a blue paint instead of just paint.. I only participate in one or two big shows a year. The rest are small local ones. There just is't any big shows anywhere near me..

Quote:
Hi, Dragonlady! I have a beautiful white chick that came as a big surprise from my blue, black pair. It was born light blue but is now very white (5 weeks). I don't have any white and wondering if there is a place I can use it if it turns out to be breed worthy. It's a beautiful chick. I know you have use white in unique ways so thought I'd get your feed back.
And I just saw this. Are you SURE that isn't a splash? Your Black may be a dark blue. My understanding of white chicks is they are born white (sometimes with yellow), never born light blue? Do you have a picture of mystery chick?
They can be silvery in colouring

Back
Top Bottom