Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Some boys are just too young or not aggressive enough. You've probably trimmed their fannies, right?
No, didn't trim any fannies. I've always had good fertility with my silkies that's why I didn't even think to do so. lol I think I will now. Then again, I haven't seen my 11month old cockerel be very persuasive with the girls. Maybe he needs more practice. lol

5 days? I don't candle before 10 days. Sometimes you don't see anything - even thru those nice light Silkie egg shells. Most people candle at 7 days. 5 days is too early.
Oh good, I was hoping you weren't tossing them at 3 days.. Some eggs I did see clear veining early - but some fooled me and I marked ?? and they hatched so I don't take any out until 10 days (those showed development at 10 days).
I candled my previous eggs at about 5 days and saw clear veins. But just in case, I did leave the eggs in the incubator. I'm hoping I was being too impatient with candling and something will still develop.
lol.png

Thought this was a funny picture, reminds me of a dinosaur lol!
PS put 3 of her eggs in the bator! Guess we will see if and then who knocked ice up haha! I have 2 roo's, one is young though( my ameraucana) so not sure if he is breeding yet. I did see him try to "tid bit" one of my girls today, but I think he was a bit confused... he took the piece of food FROM the hen and then dropped it in front of her and picked it back up and dropped it again
lau.gif

Last edited:
Try adding more dry feed when you feed the daily amount. I add dry feed to mine to get a real thick oatmeal consistency or cookie dough thick sometimes. I have no messy Silkies this way and get the benefit of FF.

That is what I have been doing - that or just giving the silkies the top or "loaf". Works for the adults but the chicks like to jump on top and get the foot feathers all nasty. Have yet to devise a way to keep them out of it so I have gone back to dry crumbles for chicks.

Here is a "grey" that I got a couple days ago. I don't think it is grey though. It came from a Splash Catdance hen and a Buff cock. I don't have pics of the hen as she was sold already. But here is the "grey" and Buff dad.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]i am assuming it is a Blue with other color leakage and not a grey. Sonoran, can you confirm my thinking.

Here is a "grey" that I got a couple days ago. I don't think it is grey though. It came from a Splash Catdance hen and a Buff cock. I don't have pics of the hen as she was sold already. But here is the "grey" and Buff dad.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]i am assuming it is a Blue with other color leakage and not a grey. Sonoran, can you confirm my thinking.
guess I can only do one pic from phone per post.

[/URL]i am assuming it is a Blue with other color leakage and not a grey. Sonoran, can you confirm my thinking.

I know I'm not Sonoran but the little guy doesn't look blue. Not sure what to call the color. Does he have a yellow tone in his hackles? This picture up here looks like there's a shade of yellow, maybe it's the lighting?

LL
[/URL]i am assuming it is a Blue with other color leakage and not a grey. Sonoran, can you confirm my thinking.
I know I'm not Sonoran but the little guy doesn't look blue. Not sure what to call the color. Does he have a yellow tone in his hackles? This picture up here looks like there's a shade of yellow, maybe it's the lighting?
no, you are correct, there is gold leakage in the neck. I know it doesn't look blue, but I thought if on parent is a splash, then offspring to non blue/splash parent will be blue, to some degree. At least genetically blue.

Back
Top Bottom