Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Quote:
Good advice. I'd predict that it will end up with the bottom beak at near a 90 degree angle from the upper :( Deep dishes, and wet food is easier for the bird to grab and hold onto, but also messier. I'd keep it with the others as long as it can get enough to eat, but you will probably end up eventually separating it, at least at feeding time. The tip of the upper beak will probably need regular trimming. I don't think trimming the sides will make much difference with this amount of crossing. Make sure to feed high calorie food--every bite that it manages to swallow needs to count double, if possible.

Good advice. I'd predict that it will end up with the bottom beak at near a 90 degree angle from the upper :( Deep dishes, and wet food is easier for the bird to grab and hold onto, but also messier. I'd keep it with the others as long as it can get enough to eat, but you will probably end up eventually separating it, at least at feeding time. The tip of the upper beak will probably need regular trimming. I don't think trimming the sides will make much difference with this amount of crossing. Make sure to feed high calorie food--every bite that it manages to swallow needs to count double, if possible.
This is critical, and this is a bird you will need to handle pretty much every day to keep track of her weight. They can fail fast and not let you know until they are near death. They also sometimes do very well on pelleted feed, which provides more balanced nutrition, once they are mature enough for it.

ETA: Deep and open dishes - mine does best with a large dog food bowl. Yes, she gets in there and kicks a lot out, but she's gained back weight she had lost, and is just the happiest little thing on the planet.

Last edited:
This is critical, and this is a bird you will need to handle pretty much every day to keep track of her weight. They can fail fast and not let you know until they are near death. They also sometimes do very well on pelleted feed, which provides more balanced nutrition, once they are mature enough for it.

ETA: Deep and open dishes - mine does best with a large dog food bowl. Yes, she gets in there and kicks a lot out, but she's gained back weight she had lost, and is just the happiest little thing on the planet.

My cross beak wyandotte hen eats the pelleted feed very well, but i'm worried this severe of a cross may not be able to grip the pieces so wet down mushy food may be best. I would suggest feeding game bird starter/grower for life, around 21-22%. I do it for all my silkies anyway but it would be especially beneficial for this little one. I use a dremel and keep it pushed back as far as I can, but the beaks do bleed so you have to be careful and only do a little at a time. I do recommend using a dremel since you can bleed them so easily with clippers.

My cross beak wyandotte hen eats the pelleted feed very well, but i'm worried this severe of a cross may not be able to grip the pieces so wet down mushy food may be best. I would suggest feeding game bird starter/grower for life, around 21-22%. I do it for all my silkies anyway but it would be especially beneficial for this little one. I use a dremel and keep it pushed back as far as I can, but the beaks do bleed so you have to be careful and only do a little at a time. I do recommend using a dremel since you can bleed them so easily with clippers.
Agreed on the wet high protein food, especially while she is young. I just switched my cross beak to pelleted feed two weeks ago and she's 7 months old, and not as severe as this little one.

Oh THANK YOU TO EVERYONE for the advice!!! I know she will be a bit high maintenance, but raising these sweet birds is a neat part of my life, even the ones that need some special care. :) sometimes it helps me remember how thankful we should all be for being healthy and not having an issue like this poor sweet little bird. How blessed we all are!! I'm excited and hopeful that my little Beauty that she will have a happy life however long she lives. Thank u guys again!! I love this site! Also is there anyone in Oklahoma that needs silkies? They are not show quality but I have some lavenders and buffs!

Thank you =D, It's a local fair here in NH, same principal I dropped them off wednesday and have to leave them until sunday.
What the ??? What kind of show do you leave your birds that long? I don't even take mine the night before but wait for the morning of the show.
Congrats!!

Last edited:

update: here's her pic
I have an OE that is even a bit worse than that. She can only eat mush and she wears more than she eats. She was supposed to be dog food but she has a big personality to match her disability and I just couldn't do it. She follows me everywhere and is completely fearless. I can't be outside without her on my shoulder or following me. She cannot eat anything other than mush because she can't pick anything up - as I suspect will be the case with yours. She scoops the best she can and is usually covered in it. With a silkie that could be even worse, you will be bathing her a lot. Good luck.

Okay Vickie I have a question regarding the points system. I noticed that both the APA and ABA have this...I joined the APA but not the ABA...yet. Are they the same? What is the point in joining both? Is one preferred over the other? Confusing!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom