Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Quote: I believe if a bird is really Partridge the pattern will show up on the younger birds, even the males. If there is no patterning on the boys when they are young then they are not Partridge and they will not throw properly patterned females. Partridge, BB Red and Wheaten all have exactly the same colored males in other breeds, but only Partridge shows the pattern gene on the females - and to use a boy that doesn't show the patterning when young would not be wise. If we want to actually breed Partridge, we need to look for the patterning in their feathers.

Wait on the comb - I noticed when my boy's comb started to grow it looked like horns - now it is smoothing out to look like the big walnut comb. And yes, sometimes bearded birds have small wattles. Hopefully they won't grow too big, the SOP does allow for small wattles on the bearded males - but they must stay small. If they get bigger then you don't have a Walnut comb (that suppresses the wattles along with the beard) and his comb may end up being odd.

I have heard of some Silkies that are so "dandified" that they have gender problems. They aren't interested in breeding because they think they are too beautiful to mess themselves up...
lau.gif

I actually think that some of them might have testosterone problems. Low levels because of being chosen for small combs for generations.. going to AI to produce more show quality birds who don't know how to breed and don't care. Birds that have so much fluff they can't find where they are going or even see there are other birds around them..

Personally there is a line I draw with any breeding. The bird must be able to procreate naturally and be able to see its where its food and water is. If it can't do that, then I don't care how cute it looks it isn't going to be used in my breeding program. There is a fine line between show quality birds and useless birds, and to my way of thinking there are too many over the other side of the line already - I am not going to join them.

I like the fluffy silkies but not so much like you said they can't even find their own food. Mine are able to find food. I did have one that I hatched from somebody else's eggs that couldn't find her food. I started trimming her crest. I do have to trim their backsides though. I don't pluck I just trim.

This guy I have is just as you explained. He acts like he's too pretty to have to do anything. When I was having them NPIP tested and she came to him I was making remarks as if I was him talking saying, "No I won't bleed, it will mess up my pretty feathers", I'm too pretty for this kind of treatment. I had her laughing so hard she had to stop trying to get a good drop of blood to recover from the tears running down her face. He really does act "Prissy". Maybe thats the problem. Many of the birds I bought from that same breeder had issues of some sort or another. I ended up loosing half of them and I paid good money for them. At least according to my finances. If I can't get him to breed soon he's gonna be sold for a pet. He's very friendly and loves attention.

Thanks for your reply. I kind of suspected as much but needed it verified.

Quote:
We used to have a cat like that--he was too "pretty" to act the proper cat. (Or maybe it made him the consummate cat--anyways, he KNEW he was handsome, and acted the part very well.) Then one day his nose got scratched and scarred, and he became a much nicer, more normal acting cat.
lol.png

Anyways, you stated the issue quite well. And some of the time, they simply were not raised to see how other roosters behave. If penned where they can see "chicken sex," they sometimes learn how and what to do...

Or he may be acting the part f the rooster holding the bell in his beak. Being particularly sneaky so that you never see him in action.

Last edited:
Quote:
We used to have a cat like that--he was too "pretty" to act the proper cat. (Or maybe it made him the consummate cat--anyways, he KNEW he was handsome, and acted the part very well.) Then one day his nose got scratched and scarred, and he became a much nicer, more normal acting cat.
lol.png

Anyways, you stated the issue quite well. And some of the time, they simply were not raised to see how other roosters behave. If penned where they can see "chicken sex," they sometimes learn how and what to do...

Or he may be acting the part f the rooster holding the bell in his beak. Being particularly sneaky so that you never see him in action.
When I first got my Partridge pair none of her eggs were fertile and I never saw the Rooster do anything. I know he was fertile because the person I got him from did breed the pair and hatched eggs. I put them side by side with my beardless Silkie pen and after awhile I noticed a difference. First off - all the eggs were fertile. Second off he calls the others over for treats now. I do see him chase a few girls and once in awhile he does the dance. The Partridge boy I raised in there is much better already about doing the dance, talking to the hens, etc than the older one is - I think it is easier if they learn younger.

Perhaps some do need to be trained what to do. If they are brooder raised and have never been around adult chickens they might not have a clue.. you would think it was instinctual but maybe not.

I did have a rooster who held a bell - I NEVER saw him mate anybody - but they were all fertile so I know he did. He was not a Silkie though.

Last edited:
I believe if a bird is really Partridge the pattern will show up on the younger birds, even the males. If there is no patterning on the boys when they are young then they are not Partridge and they will not throw properly patterned females. Partridge, BB Red and Wheaten all have exactly the same colored males in other breeds, but only Partridge shows the pattern gene on the females - and to use a boy that doesn't show the patterning when young would not be wise. If we want to actually breed Partridge, we need to look for the patterning in their feathers.

Wait on the comb - I noticed when my boy's comb started to grow it looked like horns - now it is smoothing out to look like the big walnut comb. And yes, sometimes bearded birds have small wattles. Hopefully they won't grow too big, the SOP does allow for small wattles on the bearded males - but they must stay small. If they get bigger then you don't have a Walnut comb (that suppresses the wattles along with the beard) and his comb may end up being odd.

Thanks! I really don't think he has much of a partridge pattern... We'll see. I have the ability to hold on to him and see how he does develop, plus there are not a lot of Silkie breeders in my area to begin with!

Is anyone in New England and planning on attending the NH Poultry Fancier's show next Sunday?

When I first got my Partridge pair none of her eggs were fertile and I never saw the Rooster do anything. I know he was fertile because the person I got him from did breed the pair and hatched eggs. I put them side by side with my beardless Silkie pen and after awhile I noticed a difference. First off - all the eggs were fertile. Second off he calls the others over for treats now. I do see him chase a few girls and once in awhile he does the dance. The Partridge boy I raised in there is much better already about doing the dance, talking to the hens, etc than the older one is - I think it is easier if they learn younger.

Perhaps some do need to be trained what to do. If they are brooder raised and have never been around adult chickens they might not have a clue.. you would think it was instinctual but maybe not.

I did have a rooster who held a bell - I NEVER saw him mate anybody - but they were all fertile so I know he did. He was not a Silkie though.

When I got him he was 4 months old and I had put him in quarantine with another roo and 3 hens that I had also gotten from the same person. They where actually in that pen for about 3 months. The hens where laying and where fertile so I know he saw what was going on and normally at 4 months "around here" the boys are practicing and often. The younger roo and older roo never fought or even threatened each other. It's like the older roo knew there was no competition with the younger guy. This summer I put him in the juvie pen that is next to the sizzle pen. He never did any threatening or dancing for the older ladies on the other side of the wire.......nothing. He didn't call the children when food was being handed out. It was everybody for themselves. He did peck at George my house hen that I put outside for the summer but he never danced or showed her any interest. But then mot many roos ever have with her. She's only been bred when I had her outside with me and I had a silkie pen open so they could graze and I had my back turned and she couldn't get to me and I couldn't get to her before the roo did but not all the roos showed any interest in her. She's not exactly the prettiest flower in the garden.

This week I"m gonna put him with a laying hen in the play pen and see what happens. If he don't start putting out he's outta here.

Quote:
lol.png

haven't you heard that old tale? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/87606/rooster-bell-joke-the-clean-version

Got pictures of a few of the silkies yesterday =) Next show this upcoming Sunday! Ofcourse now it's raining and they're getting muddy! Hasn't rained for weeks and now the week before the show it rains
roll.png

And ofcourse, Jack Frost
lol.png
pittiful little sweetheart. He has a LONG way to go

Back
Top Bottom