Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Got pictures of a few of the silkies yesterday =) Next show this upcoming Sunday! Ofcourse now it's raining and they're getting muddy! Hasn't rained for weeks and now the week before the show it rains
roll.png

And ofcourse, Jack Frost
lol.png
pittiful little sweetheart. He has a LONG way to go

Well at least he is happy and growing. Such a pitiful looking boy right now - I don't think he will turn white like his name implies though - or is that all mud? Top picture - before the rain.. bottom picture - after?
lau.gif

Well at least he is happy and growing. Such a pitiful looking boy right now - I don't think he will turn white like his name implies though - or is that all mud? Top picture - before the rain.. bottom picture - after?
lau.gif

haha! Well I have stuck to a winter/christmas theme for my silkies and the popular vote was Jack Frost... He's just "black ice"
wink.png

Does anybody know why a roo wouldn't have any interest in breeding? I have one that was not interested in all with a hen. I put him in a pen by himself thru the summer. Maybe he's changed his mind, IDK. I need to put a hen with him to see if he has changed his mind but if not the question still stands. Why would a roo not want to breed?

I've seen lots of Too Pretty male Silkies who did not breed. I was always suspicious of ones that looked more like females. All my young boys were tested on old hussy hens.I would not keep a male who did not want to breed even though I A-Id all my girls to keep them in condition, so I never had a problem with fertility.

New to BYC, just wanting to get a little feedback on my new silkies and My old roo. Curious to see what comes out of the White and Black cross.
My new hen

My old Roo

And my new young ( what I suspect to be a roo)

Here's the newest addition. :) All by himself though. I hope it's a girl. It looks like a splash from my white hen (R.I.P) and my paint roosters baby. It was the last egg of my white hen right before she died.

New to BYC, just wanting to get a little feedback on my new silkies and My old roo. Curious to see what comes out of the White and Black cross.
My new hen

My old Roo

And my new young ( what I suspect to be a roo)

Your roo looks pretty nice =) Is the hen molting? She has a bit of a long back and her wings look a bit slipped but she may condition nicely. Do you have a picture of the young one's comb? It looks more like a pullet from this picture. The back looks a bit long but it may just be the way it is standing. I think with conditioning they would all be pretty nice =) Unfortunately when breeding whit to anything but white you can get any number of colors and mixes. white hides other colors so there is no way to tell what he is hiding under there!

Here's the newest addition.
smile.png
All by himself though. I hope it's a girl. It looks like a splash from my white hen (R.I.P) and my paint roosters baby. It was the last egg of my white hen right before she died.

Aww! If you don't mind snuggling with babies all day it should be fine as a lone chick. I have raised a few alone without issues.

Back
Top Bottom