Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Does anyone have any smooth silkies? If so, can smooth silkies be put in shows, or do they count as "muts". Im in love with my smooth splash silkie Roo and would maybe want to take him to a show later on when he is fully developed/matured. Is he show quality? he has a nice rounded crest and some beautiful shimmery black feathers that look turquoise in the sunlight:) He hasn't developed his comb or waddles much yet, but I know he is a he due to his streamers and he crowed today for the first time:)
He would more than likely be disqualified. Silkies are supposed to be "silkied".

Quote:
Your bird appears to be a Silkie cross. If he is from a Sizzle breeding (not yet qualified) then you can show him under any other featherleg as a Smooth Feathered Sizzle. The have certain standards which they must meet though - he must have the black skin, five toes, blue ears, ect that match a SIlkie - they only difference is the feathers are not silkied. He is not a Frizzled Silkie - those require Silkied feathers. We do not have a "Frizzle" breed here in the USA - and so you can't show him as a "Frizzle". Google Frizzles and you will see your boy looks nothing like the Frizzle breed. You can find out more information from the Sizzle thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/664348/the-sizzle-thread

Your bird appears to be a Silkie cross.  If he is from a Sizzle breeding (not yet qualified) then you can show him under any other featherleg as a Smooth Feathered Sizzle.  The have certain standards which they must meet though - he must have the black skin, five toes, blue ears, ect that match a SIlkie - they only difference is the feathers are not silkied.   He is not a Frizzled Silkie - those require Silkied feathers.  We do not have a "Frizzle" breed here in the USA - and so you can't show him as a "Frizzle".  Google Frizzles and you will see your boy looks nothing like the Frizzle breed.  You can find out more information from the Sizzle thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/664348/the-sizzle-thread

Thank you haha as you can tell I'm new to chickens and raising them. I did get hi from a breeder

Here is one of my sons babies. Now 4 weeks old he's hoping between the 4 week olds and his new hatch of Catdance eggs he will have a few to show this next year.

Oops I suppose it helps if I attach the photo ;/

I am friends with Sheri Minkner who has some of the nicest Sizzles in the country (she developed them she is on like 15+ generations) they are hoping to have a qualifying meet for them relatively soon. They decided it was best to recognize the smooth variety because then the frizzle comes with it automatically.

I am friends with Sheri Minkner who has some of the nicest Sizzles in the country (she developed them she is on like 15+ generations) they are hoping to have a qualifying meet for them relatively soon. They decided it was best to recognize the smooth variety because then the frizzle comes with it automatically.
That's great to know!

Back
Top Bottom