Silkie chick born with a bad foot/leg. How do I fix it?

ChickSter99

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
South GA
I had a silkie chick hatch last night with 5 toes on one foot and 4 and a half on the other. I didn't notice it until this morning when it would try to follow the others to the water dish. It walks on the bend in its leg with the foot off the ground. When we pick it up, it can straighten the leg and bend the leg. I didn't know if alittle physical therapy would work or if the chick is actually hurting.

I don't know what it could be, but I have a hen with crooked toes ( all of the toes are crooked). When she walks on the driveway you can hear her nails clicking.. Shes a little over a year now and she is still fine, besides for the bumblefeet... :(

Anyways, I hope you find out whats wrong. She may just be disabled, I would keep her away from the other chicks though because she is probably weeker than them. Maybe put the calmest one in with her so she isn't lonely.

Last edited:
I don't know what it could be, but I have a hen with crooked toes ( all of the toes are crooked). When she walks on the driveway you can hear her nails clicking.. Shes a little over a year now and she is still fine, besides for the bumblefeet...
sad.png

Anyways, I hope you find out whats wrong. She may just be disabled, I would keep her away from the other chicks though because she is probably weeker than them. Maybe put the calmest one in with her so she isn't lonely.
I have a GLP that has crooked toes and she is doing a lot better. She's 2 weeks old now. But this one is different, it has something to do with it's leg also. Thanks for your help.

It can move its leg and can actually get around on it by hobbling on the bend of it. I checked out the slipped tendon link. I felt its legs. I don't think that is it. I'm wondering if it is spraddle leg. It was hatched in an LG incubator, moved to Havo bator Genesis to dry (to many eggs in the other) and in a brooder with shredded pine after it dried. I put a rag over the wire in the Genesis. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Without a picture it's hard to say but sounds like a slipped tendon. Do a search on how to treat it. The sooner the better.
You may be right about the slipped tendon. I thought that or splayed leg. Then, I did some research & started looking for pictures. This morning the joint is really swollen and red. I decided to try to manipulate it once more. I tried the pulling the leg back gently last night & her leg was still swollen & still going out to the side. So, this morning I tried the pinch with the thumb and forefinger. She she seems to have her leg a little straighter, but I need to make her a chair to keep her weight off of it. She has the joint bleeding where she's been hobbling on it. Poor baby.

Back
Top Bottom