Silkie chick colors!!

I hope so to. :) I am really curious if my buff w/grey back is going to be a partridge even though those are typically stiped. Or if it will just be a darker buff or something? And I am very curious about the silver colored one. I thought it was splash but im starting to wonder because I dont really see any second tones in it, so im wondering if its actually lavender or really light blue. I think she and the white will look so cute together :)

Keep us updated. I have been breeding silkies for 2 years now but I still am not an expert at determining colors. I am getting better but because I don't separate colrs when breeding I can't say that is from my bbs pen it will be one of those colors, I let all colors run together to get some fun colors and patterns. I wish there was a site with clear pictures of baby chicks and then what they turned into. Since I don't obviously keep all my chicks I have no idea what color they end up. But a site or chart would help me so that I know what to keep and what to sell. I also breed English Orpingtons and I know the purists will be offended but I mix pure English Orpington colors in that pen. I have for Roos lavender cuckoo from a breeding of black daddy with white mommy that had a hidden recessive gene for lavender cuckoo, the other Roo is a chocolate cuckoo they are housed with black and project crele English hens.

Keep us updated. I have been breeding silkies for 2 years now but I still am not an expert at determining colors. I am getting better but because I don't separate colrs when breeding I can't say that is from my bbs pen it will be one of those colors, I let all colors run together to get some fun colors and patterns. I wish there was a site with clear pictures of baby chicks and then what they turned into. Since I don't obviously keep all my chicks I have no idea what color they end up. But a site or chart would help me so that I know what to keep and what to sell. I also breed English Orpingtons and I know the purists will be offended but I mix pure English Orpington colors in that pen. I have for Roos lavender cuckoo from a breeding of black daddy with white mommy that had a hidden recessive gene for lavender cuckoo, the other Roo is a chocolate cuckoo they are housed with black and project crele English hens.

Wow, you're silkies sound so beautiful. That would be helpful if someone took pics of their chicks throughout the different stages to show everyone what to look for...

Oh that's a good idea!, maybe now we might be able to help you more!
Oh I know what I have now :) I have a white, cream/white with some buff still on it, definitely a splash, a buff, a dark blue, and a black. Some of my original babies passed away so I have two ( The dark blue and black) that are from different batches and arent as fluffy. I'll post pics of all of them I just took the other day :)

Here's new pics of all my babies at 3 weeks old :)

Black chick#1 Unrelated batch. Nice leg feathering but no puff on head yet.

White chick#2 My favorite girl :) Very fluffy, huge crest.

Blue chick#3 Unrelated batch. Sweet face, look at that tiny poof on her head lol.

Cream/white chick#4 One of the biggest, and showing possibilities of being male.

Splash chick# 5 Tons of dark silver splashes coming out on her wings, tail, feet feathers :)

Buff chick#6 Lovely orange color, with a nice crest :)

Last edited:
Your silkies with the larger head poufs most likely have vaulted skulls, so be careful not to bonk their heads as that could kill them. The vaulted skulls have a hole in them and the brain is covered by skin and feathers..most close up when the chick is several weeks to months old. But some may retain the hole for their whole life, so just be sure to be a little more careful with them. Most polish chickens also have the vaulted skulls, as do crested ducks. ;)

Your silkies with the larger head poufs most likely have vaulted skulls, so be careful not to bonk their heads as that could kill them. The vaulted skulls have a hole in them and the brain is covered by skin and feathers..most close up when the chick is several weeks to months old. But some may retain the hole for their whole life, so just be sure to be a little more careful with them. Most polish chickens also have the vaulted skulls, as do crested ducks.
wink.png
Oh I know. Ive done all my research and they definitely have vaulted skulls but I think it makes them look super cute. They will be my delicate babies lol. They outlived the rest of the babies so I think they are tough lil things :)

Back
Top Bottom