silkie chick dying? video

Oh you poor thing. I can't help, I have no idea. There is a helpful diagnosis Q&A on this forum. Perhaps, if you could answer the basic info and post it here, someone may be able to help. Fingers x'd for you and your Silkie.

I have one doing just about the same thing, same color and everything. Can't stand up, keeps falling over. He's been in the bator for almost 3 days, so I don't know what to do. He has two others in their for company. I even tried the little shoe thingy on him cause one of his feet looks funny etc., ???

I agree, looks like it could be wry neck, get some poly-vi-sol without iron or vitamin E pills or drops and get it down her. So sorry.

You immediately need to go get 2 things: #1 A bottle of Polyvisol vitamins (in the baby section) and #2 Liquid Vitamin E. Give the silkie a dropper of polyvisol immediately. Then put some vitamin E on her beak. You may have to repeat a couple of times a day. Hopefully you can save her. We had some chickens come down with this. They were about 12 weeks old. We lost 2 but the other 2 made it. It turned out to be a vitamin deficiency. We were shocked. They had been fed Purina Start and Grow Medicated Feed since birth. We don't feed our chickens this feed anymore. Believe it or not, it is not very nutritional. Once they get past @15 weeks of age, it doesn't seem to matter. We periodically put Polyvisol in the water when they get about 12 weeks old until they are 15 weeks. We now feed them all either Game Bird starter or Game Bird grower. No more Purina for us.

Your silkie is not dying! Silkies have a soft spot on their heads. When pecked by another bird, they do exactly what your silkie is doing. I have seen this several times with my own. First things first, make sure you have her separated. When silkie are in this state, they can get trampled very easily. Secondly have fresh water(a small chick waterer with a large lip to it) works perfectly. No bowls of water--they can drown. Secondly I feed them a mash. Either chick food which is already ground or wet chicken food which gets mushy when wet--easier for them to pick up the food. Thirdly, you can give him Poly-visol without iron) drops 2-3x a day. You can buy this at walmart in the medicine/infant section--about 1/4 dropperful. If you are patient and do the above, he will get better over time. He needs time for the brain stems to grow back. This can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks...so patience!
smile.png
I have raised and bred silkies for several years, so I have seen this before!!! Good luck!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom