Silkie Chick got squished, still alive but not doing well

Wanted to give you guys an update the electrolytes have done something because she is up and eating again, she is walking very stiff and slow but she is happy chirping a bit now and is responding where as before it was difficult to get her to respond to being moved, a noise or touch. I have added a little of the solution to her water (I section off the brooder because my other chicks kept walking on her) she has had enough food to half fill her crop.

Wanted to give you guys an update the electrolytes have done something because she is up and eating again, she is walking very stiff and slow but she is happy chirping a bit now and is responding where as before it was difficult to get her to respond to being moved, a noise or touch. I have added a little of the solution to her water (I section off the brooder because my other chicks kept walking on her) she has had enough food to half fill her crop.

OMG!!! Good news!!!! That's great!

I would have beat and i mean beat my kids tail. IDK how you managed to keep your composure so well. The parents are appalling..I hope your little one gets well..

Awesome! So happy to hear that!

Yeah i can't understand it either but it does seem to be an emerging problem of some parents to allow any behaviour I don't know if its cause they are scared to punish or it is just too much effort.

I can see this kid turning into full blown psychopath, she was once telling me how her son at the age of 8 told the teacher to get F and when she told him to go to the office for punishment he threw himself on the ground screamed and kicked his teacher anytime she came near him. He ended up being restrained and had to be dragged to the office cause he was to heavy to pick up and carry and was carrying on so much. The school suspended him and his Mother was blaming everyone else and this statement was the kicker she said "he is just expressing himself". I was gobsmacked that she said that I don't even let my 3 year old express herself by throwing herself down, screaming and kicking.

The most my 3yo ever did was run to her room slam the door then less then a minute later she will open it and slam it again just incase I didn't hear it the first time. Of course I ignore her and she will be out in another minute or so with the I'm sorry mummy. She has stopped doing it now because I didn't feed it like this woman is doing, you know sure son you wanna kill a helpless chick ok you go express yourself. Some people are so stupid they should have been sterilised at birth.

Chicky is slowly getting better I think if I didn't give the electrolytes she would probably be dead, its hard to get chick saver in Australia so I just make my own, I've used it on my big girls as well. It makes me wonder whether when chicks and chickens die from illness or injury whether they are actually dying from the injury or illness or the dehydration that comes with not moving around to drink or eat.

I was beside myself that she wouldn't make it, I don't like to say I have favourites cause I love them all but this chick would see me and immediately need to be picked up or when she is allowed out of the brooder for a short forage if I take a few steps away there she is right behind me. She loves to sit on my shoulder and snuggle into my neck while I'm on the computer or watching tv on the lounge. Im pretty sure she is female but I have already informed my husband if she isn't she/he will simply be getting a rooster collar like the other boys that I refuse to part with.

When I was around 5 there was a neighborhood BBQ going on. An older neighbor boy found a giant slug and got my brother and me to get salt. We were young and didn't know what salt did to slugs so we did what was asked. A group of kids gathered around then my father walked over to see what was going on. Immediately grabbed us and took us inside. we were taught to never kill things "just because". Regardless of what it is. Flies are the only thing that never got sympathy.

I'm not going to post my opinions on the children in question or the parents here, I don't know them, but I fear what is in my head would have me banned from the forum on language counts!

Glad the chick is recovering.

Last edited:
I've been worrying about your chick, and am happy she's improving. It's just so appalling, I barely have words to describe my feelings about people like that kid and his parents.

People like that should be punished somehow. If you put your mind to it, you may come up with something. What I did after a "friend" dropped by with his unruly big dogs, letting them run wild so that they killed my sweet Black Cochin rooster, was to post a sign on my gate at the start of my driveway. It said, "Kip Nelson not welcome on my property EVER!" Not only did it serve to let him know not to come to my house, but everyone else who saw it learned what a @#$% he is. Word got around and the man was run out of town.
somad.gif
Sometimes you just gotta to do what you gotta do.

Back
Top Bottom