Silkie chick integration

Maddiefaus

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2022
I have 6 (3 barred rock & 2 golden laced Wyandotte & 1 Ameraucana) chicks that are almost 2 weeks old. And I just got 3 silkie chicks that are less than a week old. I thought that since they were all so young I could combine them in a large brooder that I have since there is no flock established yet and they have plenty of space. However the other chicks started pecking at the silkies beaks and feet feathers so I immediately separated them.

How long should I keep the silkies separate and what is the best way to integrate? Thanks for any help.

Ah yes...the age old question of integrating Silkies.

The hard answer? Sometimes never. Some standard flock simply can't resist pecking on the crested heads, feathered feet, slow, awkward Silkies. I had to have hubby build a separate hutch for them...which turned into a broody hutch (since they were always going broody) which of course turned into more chickens.

The Silkies won't grow as big or as fast as your other breeds. Try again at about 3 weeks of age being prepared that your standards and bantam Silkies may never mix well.

Hopefully they will...but be very careful with your Silkies. They can easily get brain damage from standards pecking at their crests due to their vaulted skulls. In short, most Silkies do best separated...but not all. I have friends whose Silkies do run free range with the standards. (Mine, however, just got constantly hazed by the flock and picked off by hawks...so back to their own enclosure).

Good luck.
LofMc

I have 6 (3 barred rock & 2 golden laced Wyandotte & 1 Ameraucana) chicks that are almost 2 weeks old. And I just got 3 silkie chicks that are less than a week old. I thought that since they were all so young I could combine them in a large brooder that I have since there is no flock established yet and they have plenty of space. However the other chicks started pecking at the silkies beaks and feet feathers so I immediately separated them.

How long should I keep the silkies separate and what is the best way to integrate? Thanks for any help.
i just put a day old silky in with my 10 3 week old white leghorns around noon today. They ran from her, then got curious. did a minor peck or two. By the end of today they are snuggling together. guess it depends on the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom