Silkie chick not walking and weak for the past 5 days

So she is getting stronger every day. She is eating well and has regular looking poops but she still isnt walking and while she seems to be able to move her legs she wont bear her weight on them. Its hard to tell if there is any swelling because her legs are so tiny. Any suggestions on what I can do to help her walk?

That's such good news she is getting stronger and eating well ❤️
Perhaps you could try a chicken sling or chicken chair, just for a few moments a day so she can get the feeling of putting weight on her legs and standing. So she could build up some muscles like in a physiotherapy.
I searched a bit for threads showing pictures of slings and chairs and sharing advices and experiences, here is an example:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/use-of-sling-for-broken-leg.1415244/
But there are many more threads regarding this theme.
From how I understand it it is important she can stand on her footsoles but her weight is carried by the sling/chair. I think when she gains strenght in her legs you can lower it stepwise till she can put full weight on it.

You perhaps additional could try to hold her in your hand and let her little legs hang relaxed. Then with your other hand you stroke gently her footsoles and then let her footsoles let touch the ground, still holding her. This will activate the nerves and the related brain regions. I know from humans it is importand to stimulate the nerves in such cases, so perhaps it works for chickens as well.

Still alive thank goodness but no luck with the walking. I'm having to offer feed and water to her every hour. She has a little chick sling she stays in a few times a day for a half an hour or so. I am doing little exercises with her and the physical therapy you described above a few times a day and she does move her legs but still is not strong enough to hold herself. I cant really tell if she's gaining strength. I dont really know if I'm doing too little or too much physical therapy. She seems really frustrated but she does seem to like being held by me. I am actually typing this response with one hand because she is sitting in my other hand :). She cant sit on her own btw. She is still in the same room with her fellow chicks so I feel like she has company but they are getting really big really fast. I'm a bit at a loss - I think there's going to be a point where I'm going to have to start thinking about quality of life for her. Its so sad. Thanks for asking.

That is a really difficult situation you are in. Seems like you are doing everything within your power to get her back on her feet, literally. Have you considered contacting a rescue organization or an avian veterinarian? Perhaps they would have further advice or be willing to take her in? Unfortunately this is the situation on the farm were we consider euthanasia due to quality of life. I personally, always look for an alternative before culling, but if it's necessary I will. If she can't live without assistance that is very difficult on her an you. You have to decide what is fair to both of you. You can continue to try and rehabilitate, honestly it sounds like you have been given great advice and have been doing an excellent job for her to be improving after having issues for this long! However, you have to look at it realistically, how long can you keep up this level of care with no improvement?

Yes thats what I am grappling with. The only vet in the area that sees chickens is not taking any more patients but I think I will try and see if I can get them to reconsider. Though I dont hold much hope for him to know what to do - this is not a farming area. I guess I will see how she does this week then make a decision. Thank You.

Still alive thank goodness but no luck with the walking. I'm having to offer feed and water to her every hour. She has a little chick sling she stays in a few times a day for a half an hour or so. I am doing little exercises with her and the physical therapy you described above a few times a day and she does move her legs but still is not strong enough to hold herself. I cant really tell if she's gaining strength. I dont really know if I'm doing too little or too much physical therapy. She seems really frustrated but she does seem to like being held by me. I am actually typing this response with one hand because she is sitting in my other hand :). She cant sit on her own btw. She is still in the same room with her fellow chicks so I feel like she has company but they are getting really big really fast. I'm a bit at a loss - I think there's going to be a point where I'm going to have to start thinking about quality of life for her. Its so sad. Thanks for asking.

That's so heartwarming that she likes being held by you and actually is sitting in your hand ❤️
I think it is great how you are taking care of her (offering food and water every hour, letting her use a sling regularly, doing exercises and physical therapy a few times a day) and there is nothing which could be done better - you are doing a great job :thumbsup

I think it is still a bit too early for considerable improvements of being able to stand and walk (and carry her own weight) - the neuronal connections necessary for change still have to be build at this point.
If she 'basically' has the ability to walk/carry her weight it will show some time later, and it can show kind of sudden.
You write she is frustrated - is she frustrated of having to do the exercises or is she frustrated because she wants to come forward and not being able to at this point? Second would be a good sign.
What worries me is that she is not able to sit by her own. What happens then - does she fall on her side and can't get up anymore? Or is she instable because she has difficulties to keep her legs in a way to make her sit upright?
Does she see the other chicks walking and playing?

You love her so you only will make the right decision - no matter in which direction :hugs

I cant really tell why she's frustrated but I do think that maybe she wants to move on her own. She falls to her side when I sit her down. She needs a suporting ring but she doesnt like it and puts herself in a lying position. I do think its her legs that dont allow her to sit upright. Its been a couple of days that she hasnt seen the other chicks but I will try and let them out around her today.

If she is frustrated because she wants to move by her own I think this would be kind of a strong motivation. Perhaps watching the others walk could be a motivation, too.
Does she mind when you touch or move her legs in the meanwhile?

Back
Top Bottom