Silkie chick question

twitterpated

Chirping
Apr 2, 2019
Eastern KY
This is my first time owning chickens with feathered feet so please bear with me and my naïveté on the subject. But do silkie chicks lose the down on their legs when they start feathering out? I have one chick in particular and another one that’s starting to have the same issue where it has very little to no feathers on its legs now. The one I’m mainly concerned about is definitely behind in feathering than it’s flock mates and virtually has bare legs at the moment. I did pick it up today to inspect the area and noticed it has some feathers that appear to be what I would assume ‘growing out’, no cracks or bleeding, no scales or mites. So I guess my question is, does the baby down essentially ‘fall out’ and the new feathers come in? Or do I have a picking problem?

This is my first time owning chickens with feathered feet so please bear with me and my naïveté on the subject. But do silkie chicks lose the down on their legs when they start feathering out? I have one chick in particular and another one that’s starting to have the same issue where it has very little to no feathers on its legs now. The one I’m mainly concerned about is definitely behind in feathering than it’s flock mates and virtually has bare legs at the moment. I did pick it up today to inspect the area and noticed it has some feathers that appear to be what I would assume ‘growing out’, no cracks or bleeding, no scales or mites. So I guess my question is, does the baby down essentially ‘fall out’ and the new feathers come in? Or do I have a picking problem?
Hi, I understand your concern, I have had chicks that just dont feather nearly as fast the others, usually they end up being runts, or sadly passing away, so I hope I can help. Usually silkies have feathers on their legs their whole life, and like any other chicken they shouldn't lose their down before getting feathers, they should have feathers on their legs here and there but not nothing (at least from my knowledge). If you think it's a pecking problem try to put your chick in a different place away from the others to see if it changes, although I wouldn't think it is one because you said there isn't any blood, though, they can be pulling the feathers off but in my experience is less likely. If you think he/she is a runt just give the chick extra protein and pedialyte for children or chicks (I personally use for children, less expensive and works just as well).
I hope I helped a bit, good luck! :fl

Hi, I understand your concern, I have had chicks that just dont feather nearly as fast the others, usually they end up being runts, or sadly passing away, so I hope I can help. Usually silkies have feathers on their legs their whole life, and like any other chicken they shouldn't lose their down before getting feathers, they should have feathers on their legs here and there but not nothing (at least from my knowledge). If you think it's a pecking problem try to put your chick in a different place away from the others to see if it changes, although I wouldn't think it is one because you said there isn't any blood, though, they can be pulling the feathers off but in my experience is less likely. If you think he/she is a runt just give the chick extra protein and pedialyte for children or chicks (I personally use for children, less expensive and works just as well).
I hope I helped a bit, good luck! :fl
Well, I went and checked in on the little one this evening again and took a more thorough look. You’re right, it does still have feathers on its legs, but it’s adult feathers must be coming in. I guess I just wasn’t looking hard enough (difficult to do with a squirmy chick). At least I feel better about it not being totally bare. But I definitely will take your advice on some extra protein and pedialyte to help the feathering process along. Thank you! :)

Here are some pics I managed to grab. The feathers do seem to be growing in. :clap I just missed it earlier in my distress I suppose.
DB016E7C-2D1C-4E59-B438-F8A267FA04F3.jpeg

8A0C3F95-012C-4597-98F2-671B50849D20.jpeg

D0C5BBD7-9A1D-4989-A387-03995EAEC9EF.jpeg

43991574-97BB-48E3-920D-B6809DC0FE5C.jpeg

The one I took pics of with my blue silkie baby.

Well, I went and checked in on the little one this evening again and took a more thorough look. You’re right, it does still have feathers on its legs, but it’s adult feathers must be coming in. I guess I just wasn’t looking hard enough (difficult to do with a squirmy chick). At least I feel better about it not being totally bare. But I definitely will take your advice on some extra protein and pedialyte to help the feathering process along. Thank you! :)
Great! I hope this works!

Back
Top Bottom