Silkie chick questions - sick??

amberscave

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
North Central Florida
Do silkie chicks need more heat than "regular" chicks?

I bought some 2-3 day old silkie chicks yesterday and I lost one last night. It seemed a little punier than the rest and I had dipped its beak in water a few times. I just think he was just weaker, etc.

The rest are in the broader, but they seem to huddle and do the cold chick chirp more than I am use to seeing my other chicks do. The temp is 97*F and I have draft shields around 80% of the brooder. They seem so tiny and delicate.

This is my first time raising silkies and I am not sure if there is something special I need to consider. I am out of water electrolytes so I put sugar water in last night and plan on running to the store soon for electrolytes and probiotics. They are on a medicated chick starter.

I'll post pics once they start running about a bit to see if anyone has color ideas.

One is very pale tan or gray
One brown with beard and big cotton top
One dark gray with black stripes with beard and small cotton top
Three are yellow/white with black stripes and small cotton top

The pale one and the whitish ones are the tiniest. I am guessing they hatched a day or two apart.

Ok I forgot to mention that the one I lost had the "runs". The opposite of pasty butt....

Now my little pale one is seeming lethargic, but no "runs"... I put his beak in the sugar water a few times...

Do you think they are diseased? Should I vaccinate them? Is it too late?

Back
Top Bottom