silkie chick with leg injury, splayed leg/slipped tendon?

thoward1221

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2021
We picked up some silkie chicks yesterday and they offered us 2 that had 'funny legs' that they couldn't sell for free, so of course I took them. I figured they had a better chance with some attention. One didn't make it, the other is very spunky and seems pretty determined to live. I've never treated joint injuries in chicks and would love any advice you have. I currently have her legs in a hobble at my chicken lady at our local feed store's advice (thank god for chicken ladies, amirite?) but thought I'd check here as well as she wasn't positive that was the best treatment. The chick is about 4 days old, she's tiny compared to the other chicks. Her leg joint is swollen and she can't walk on it well.

Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 54
We picked up some silkie chicks yesterday and they offered us 2 that had 'funny legs' that they couldn't sell for free, so of course I took them. I figured they had a better chance with some attention. One didn't make it, the other is very spunky and seems pretty determined to live. I've never treated joint injuries in chicks and would love any advice you have. I currently have her legs in a hobble at my chicken lady at our local feed store's advice (thank god for chicken ladies, amirite?) but thought I'd check here as well as she wasn't positive that was the best treatment. The chick is about 4 days old, she's tiny compared to the other chicks. Her leg joint is swollen and she can't walk on it well.

Thank you so much for your help!
Did you already check for possible slipped tendon? Treatment is a bit different for that, but important to begin as soon as possible.

It sounds possibly like a slipped tendon. Those can be hard to successfully treat. Trying to put the tendon back in place while splinting the leg is sometimes helpful. Hobbling is more for splayed legs. The first several paragraghs of the following article may be helpful:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html
Thank you, I think you're right. This is what I initially thought was wrong so I wrapped it and made her a 'chair', she just won't rest in it and is almost constantly struggling to get out.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 35
I would tend to let her be, and try to learn and get around on her own. That is especially important when we don’t know the exact problem. Many of these chicks may need to be culled, which is sad. Some learn to get around with a gimpy leg. There are many leg bone deformities including varus or valgus deformity in one leg or both, twisted tibia, and others. Slipped tendons may sometimes be confused with those. It may take time to distinguish from one or another.

I would tend to let her be, and try to learn and get around on her own. That is especially important when we don’t know the exact problem. Many of these chicks may need to be culled, which is sad. Some learn to get around with a gimpy leg. There are many leg bone deformities including varus or valgus deformity in one leg or both, twisted tibia, and others. Slipped tendons may sometimes be confused with those. It may take time to distinguish from one or another.
That makes sense, thank you so much for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom