Silkie chick with some sort of eye problem!

PeckThePioneerChicken

In the Brooder
May 2, 2018
I came today and went to check on my 1-3 day old chicks, I picked up a little silkie and noticed it's eyes were closed shut and it wouldn't open them. I just noticed this, I have no clue if it has no eyes, or another chick pecked them. It is on wood chip bedding, is with many other chicks, eats a basic medicated chick food, and drinks water with electrolytes and probiotics. As far as I know, not exposed to any other chicks/chickens. I don't know if it has been eating or drinking. Is there a treatment? Do you think he even has eyes? I'm perplexed and worried for him.:hmm Help is very appreciated!!! Thank you:)
IMG_20180507_163406.jpg

Can you hold it and dip it’s beak into some water? I would add some electrolytes with vitamins to the water for a couple of day, or get some Poultry NutriDrench and give a couple of drops daily. The eyes coule be irritated or a chick may have been pecking the eyes. I had a little bantam with others who pecked at everyones’ eyes. She wouldn’t stop until I separated her for 1 night, and never did it again.

You can open the eyes if it won’t. If you have some saline or lubricating eye drops, you could try a drop in each eye. What type of bedding are you using? Cedar shavings which are not used with chickens can irritate eyes. Make sure there is good ventilation in your brooder, since ammonia odors from poop can irritate the eyes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom