silkie chicken question

silky ma

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Have a beautiful black silkie --aka BJ--, body shape says female....its shape is exact in all ways to my other females. Has the top hat of a female but with a wee bit of elvis in the back that suggests a male. Has a small amount of iridescent rainbow sheen on what looks to be a very small male tail. A tad bit of sheen can be seen on wings.

Out of the hatch last summer 5 white, 6 blacks --5 black were boys but this one did not look male while the others did. When the others crowed I re-homed them but --BJ-- has yet to crow.

My top female has just started to lay after letting her brood off into the world and she treats this one like a male. She will rub her body up against BJ's and will gently peck BJ's head. She is top dog and only treats BJ with extra attention. BJ watches out for everyone including the juvies. Does alot of male behavior except I havent seen mounting.

I cant tell from the crest because it is one thin line not bulbous.....definately not a silkie there. I found mama shrieking this morning because I stole her stash- again - of eggs and BJ was nesting in a corner. She prefers to egg lay alone. I got BJ to leave ...mama laid her egg...we left for the store and where BJ was earlier nesting there was an egg. I hope to get pics tonight or tomorrow to post. Can females have irridescent sheen like males? I have had silkies for years and BJ is a puzzler.

All of my black silkies have a sheen in the right light...I contribute it to good health. At the age of 1 year, it should be fairly easy to distinguish the sex of a silkie....from the description of the comb, I would say hen...plus your BJ has laid an egg, then absolutely he's a she!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom