Silkie chicks dying

Jdutton24

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2020
Central alabama
Ordered and received them and they seemed healthy. Heated water and added save a chick electrolytes. They are in a brooder pen with heat lamp, inside the house currently. Temp at floor measured about 88 degrees. Put down paper towels and dipped heads in water. They were ordered with Easter eggers. All were eating that day. Next morning, 2 was looking lethargic. Laying around. That afternoon they were dead. I put some apple cider vinegar with mother in their water and dipped them into it so they would drink it. I've even mashed up food and mixed with water and dipped in that so that they would get some nutrients.

Poop has been checked. Some had some pasty butt but have been wiped clean Inna timely manner. Food is Dumor starter.

This morning another was dead and one more looking lethargic. At my wit's end. The Easter eggers are thriving. I know the silkies are bantams but the other 2 left are appearing fine. They hang on the out skirts of the heat lamp mainly but venture under the lamp some too. What's going on?

Last edited:
And Do Not use medicated feed. Learned the hard way. I also mixed the Corid water into there feed and made a mash. That way they got it no matter what.

And Do Not use medicated feed. Learned the hard way. I also mixed the Corid water into there feed and made a mash. That way they got it no matter what.

I'm curious why you would not use medicated feed. Medicated feed can prevent coccidiosis. I have used medicated feed in the past. It doesn't treat coccidiosis, but it can prevent it.

Back
Top Bottom