Silkie chicks

I dont think is . it could be though.but my polish silkies have bigger head puffs. it has silkie, in it I wonder why no blue skin?
Black skin isn't always inherited.
20210719_154531.jpg
20210719_154542.jpg
These are Back Cross chicks for my Giant Silkie project.

The first generation can't inherit silkie feathering, can they? None of my chicks did. They all had black skin and beaks though. Thank you for sharing that info and your chicks.
You are correct first generation silkie crosses will be recessive for silkie feathers. Meaning they carry the gene but do not express it.
What was the other breed with your chicks? Skin color of the crosses depends on what other breed the silkie is crossed with. In some cases it will be sexed link, so if the father is the silkie, then the pullet chicks will inherit the dark skin of the father and the cockerel chicks will inherit the light skin of the mother (dermal sexlink) and vice a versa. It is not always so straight forward though.😊

You are correct first generation silkie crosses will be recessive for silkie feathers. Meaning they carry the gene but do not express it.
What was the other breed with your chicks? Skin color of the crosses depends on what other breed the silkie is crossed with. In some cases it will be sexed link, so if the father is the silkie, then the pullet chicks will inherit the dark skin of the father and the cockerel chicks will inherit the light skin of the mother (dermal sexlink) and vice a versa. It is not always so straight forward though.😊
My other breed was polish.

Back
Top Bottom