Silkie cockerels or pullets?

Hens can be black with leakage, however, leakage in cockerels is a lot more common, and cockerels generally have more leakage than their pullet counterparts and get the leakage in sooner. Your silkie appears to be a black x partridge. Color crosses are common in silkies.
Also, your splash is actually a blue.
I’ve been scratching my head wondering why my breeder was telling me it was a splash🤣 Thanks for clarifying. I’m knew to this and have learned so much from everyone here. So maybe, there is hope my black can still be a pullet?🥴 Wishful thinking?

I’ve been scratching my head wondering why my breeder was telling me it was a splash🤣 Thanks for clarifying. I’m knew to this and have learned so much from everyone here. So maybe, there is hope my black can still be a pullet?🥴 Wishful thinking?
I’m not sure, I’m not good at sexing silkies. However, leakage in the saddle and shoulder feathers on an otherwise solid colored chicken is a pretty good sign of a cockerel.

Hens can be black with leakage, however, leakage in cockerels is a lot more common, and cockerels generally have more leakage than their pullet counterparts and get the leakage in sooner. Your silkie appears to be a black x partridge. Color crosses are common in silkies.
Also, your splash is actually a blue.
Only male silkies get gold leakage

@LadiesAndJane, you mentioned black with gold leakage is a cockerel. I’ve been looking online to learn more about it but haven’t seen much out there on this topic. Do only males have gold leakage?
I have a friend with a black hen with gold leakage, similar to yours, it is definitely a hen as has raised a clutch of chicks x

Back
Top Bottom