Silkie Color Genetics

BuChix

Chirping
Jan 22, 2019
Trying to think of more pleasant topics than the chick that didn't make it today-- I hatched out 6 silkies who are now 1 and 2 weeks old (staggered hatch). I got them from a breeder who separated her pens by color and I received one from each pen.. I decided to try DNA sexing on them and got the results today and have 3 females and 3 males.

Now I'm trying to decide, if I were to keep a rooster, which would give me more interesting color possibilities (if any) with the hens.

females are:
partridge
white (possibly a paint. Her wing feathers are coming in and a couple are blue).
black-ish (from a blue/black pen and can't tell which right now)

males are:
black (totally and completely all black, which is why I'm wondering about the female)
blue
gray

Is there a website that lists their color inheritance by any chance? I am happy to do punnet squares myself if so. I just haven't been able to find any on google.

kippenjungle genetics calculator.

I'm assuming your grey silkie is actually silver partridge, so might want to factor that in as well.

This is fun! Thank you so much! And thanks for clarifying the difference between gray and blue. I'm new to this so was going by what was written on the eggshells. The blue is a solid gray, and the gray has the same pattern as the partridge but in shades of gray. Silver partridge is a much better descriptor.

Back
Top Bottom