Silkie Coloring Question

ChloeSilkie08

Crowing
Sep 10, 2020
Arkansas
I have a silver partridge rooster that I posted for sale. Now I'm rethinking it. I love the silver gene and was planning on just hatching more out and keeping the one that ends up a hen. BUT, what happens if I breed silver partridge to silver partridge? I thought about keeping the roo and then keeping a hen and breeding them. ALSO, is there any difference in chicks if I were to have a hen instead of a roo? Do roos effect coloring different then hens?
Then, I also have a rooster that some have called a diluted splash with red leakage and others have called a diluted red pyle, either way I'm also rethinking about selling him. I want to hatch out a lot of different color options for my customers so I'm thinking about keeping the both of these roosters now. What cool coloring could I get with the red pyle rooster if I kept him? I have white, buff, splash, and black silkie hens.
I'm so sorry if this is really confusing because it is for me too but I don't know a better way to explain it. Here are some pics of them all to give you guys an idea.

Silver partridge with silver partridge will produce 100% silver partridge.
What color hens do you have? If you don't have silver partridge or partridge your rooster won't produce a silver partridge hen in one generation.
Partridge is partridge so to produce one you need the rooster and hen to both carry that gene. You can cross your rooster to a different pattern and then potentially produce some the next generation since your rooster will pass one copy to his offspring.
Depending what you cross him with will depend how hard it will be or how many chicks you'll have to hatch to get any pure partridge since you'll also have to get one without any unwanted genes also.
Silver is sex linked so a female only has one gene for it. She will either have silver and be silver or gold and be gold. Which ever she carries she got it from her father and will pass it to her sons only.
Males have two genes so they can be silver/silver, gold/gold or silver/gold. Silver is dominate over gold.
Since your rooster is silver he will pass silver to all his female offspring whether their mother is silver or gold. So bred to a partridge the pullets will be silver partridge but the cockerels will be silver/gold partridge.
Can't speak about your other rooster without a pic because from your wording I'm not sure what he is genetically.
Now I see you have white, buff, splash, and black hens. Don't use the buff. That'll make a mess that's hard to undo. The white is recessive white most likely and there's a chance she's partridge underneath. If so she would work best all you would have to do is breed out the recessive white gene later if you wish. That would take test breeding but it can be done or you could not worry about it and end up occasionally producing whites a few generations later if you keep and use both sexes.
Black and blue will work and will only take 2 generations. The blue could also give you blue silver partridge which would be cool.
Let me know if you followed this or need more explanations.

Silver partridge with silver partridge will produce 100% silver partridge.
What color hens do you have? If you don't have silver partridge or partridge your rooster won't produce a silver partridge hen in one generation.
Partridge is partridge so to produce one you need the rooster and hen to both carry that gene. You can cross your rooster to a different pattern and then potentially produce some the next generation since your rooster will pass one copy to his offspring.
Depending what you cross him with will depend how hard it will be or how many chicks you'll have to hatch to get any pure partridge since you'll also have to get one without any unwanted genes also.
Silver is sex linked so a female only has one gene for it. She will either have silver and be silver or gold and be gold. Which ever she carries she got it from her father and will pass it to her sons only.
Males have two genes so they can be silver/silver, gold/gold or silver/gold. Silver is dominate over gold.
Since your rooster is silver he will pass silver to all his female offspring whether their mother is silver or gold. So bred to a partridge the pullets will be silver partridge but the cockerels will be silver/gold partridge.
Can't speak about your other rooster without a pic because from your wording I'm not sure what he is genetically.
Now I see you have white, buff, splash, and black hens. Don't use the buff. That'll make a mess that's hard to undo. The white is recessive white most likely and there's a chance she's partridge underneath. If so she would work best all you would have to do is breed out the recessive white gene later if you wish. That would take test breeding but it can be done or you could not worry about it and end up occasionally producing whites a few generations later if you keep and use both sexes.
Black and blue will work and will only take 2 generations. The blue could also give you blue silver partridge which would be cool.
Let me know if you followed this or need more explanations.
Thank you for the info!

Back
Top Bottom