silkie colour

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jack bache, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jack bache

jack bache Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    hay i was wondering what silkie colour i should get before i bye some. thanks. whats the most popular colour.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I LOVE red silkies! I reqlly want some but dont have anymore room [​IMG] I also like blues and blacks. The most popular are probably buffs, but not the cutest. Blues and reds are the cutest [​IMG]

3. jack bache

Dec 4, 2011
    cool thanks

4. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Most popular through hatcheries is the White but personally I love Blacks!

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Since the Silkies started out White, it seems to be the most prevelent color. I really love my Partridges and my Black, Blue, and Splash birds the best! Take a look at some of the other Silkie threads on here, and check breeder's web sites on the net. There are quite a few colors to pick from, see what you like the best. [​IMG]

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Unless you're thinking of getting in to Silkies for easy ability to sell, I suggest you get what you like. Not what is popular. I've had almost every color out there in the years I've been breeding Silkies. I keep getting out of the colors and going with my whites. White is the color I prefer personally just because I like white birds. Of course I also like black & white birds so I have paints now too to add to my Silver Spangled Hamburgs.

What I'm saying, is don't get a color because its popular, get the one that is most pleasing to you.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Get the variety that makes your heart sing. Regardless of whether you want to show or just want fancy lawn ornaments and pets, what you enjoy will give you the most satisfaction.

8. jack bache

Dec 4, 2011
    what i do is breed and sell i was wondering what the most rare colour is. Is it splash. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:It all depends on the person. Right now the most people are buying is paint. Splash isn't that rare since its just the product of two blues. Personaly i like the partridge and the buffs and i dont think buff is the most popular like DUCKGIRL89 has said. White and black is what i see most on the auction form with paints atm. So i would say those are the most.

10. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    The rare colors are still being worked on, colors like Paint and what is being called Porcelain at this point.

What you are looking for is popular. Splash is popular in a wide range of breeders. From those serious about the variety to those that just want yard art.

But I will warn you, if you think you're going to make money off a venture like that its not likely. Most breeders are lucky if they break even on the cost of raising them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by