Silkie coop-Need to know what they NEED

juliaaa

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
Syracuse, New York
I have a run done already and bring the chicks out there as soon as I wake up and bring them back in at dusk. Now I'm getting ready to build the coop out of an existing shed that was here. Right now it is used to store garden tools and such. I'm hoping to just use the back half of the building for the chickens and still have the front half or so for the garden/yard tools.

In the coop is a Silkie and 2 Silkie/Cochin mixes. (Don't tell the old man but I'm probably going to get a few more
wink.png
)

I'm wondering what Silkies need in a coop and what they don't?
How many nest boxes should I put in there?
How high should I make the roost?
Should I put 2 in there so they can roost higher and the Silkies can "roost in the nest box"?

Anything that I need/should know? Please inform me before I go start cutting wood and have to redo it
smile.png

I'm thinking of making a feeder built into the coop and same with the waterer (I'm thinking of making a rainwater waterer, we will see how adventurous I get).

Thank you!

The chicken wire and green fencing I got off of freecycle and the wood we had laying around in the barn. So I guess this entire chicken project was free (everything but staples)

Here is a picture of the run, the building is square. It has a door on one side and that window that is covered with wood will be replaced with glass. The floor in there is dirt and old wood thrown down. The bottom is 3 layers of cement brick so I'll have to put some sort of ramp in there for them to get from the coop to the run. There also is electric to the building, I'll have a light in there for the chickens and a fan to circulate the air (if needed).

Here is the run: The run was a present I came home to after taking the kids to go visit my parents
smile.png

utf-8BSU1HMDA4OTYtMjAxMTA4MDgtMTgxMy5qcGc.jpg

Here are a few of the kids in the run after I covered it (Still thinking of a better way to keep that fencing up) *Yes the door is made from a pallet*
utf-8BSU1HMDA5MjctMjAxMTA4MTEtMTExNS5qcGc.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering what Silkies need in a coop and what they don't? They don't need a roost since they don't roost. I do have a roosts in my Silkie coops incase I had to use them for another breed, and only 1 or 2 birds will actually roost.
How many nest boxes should I put in there? None. Tried that and the birds all just lay their eggs in one corner of their coop (so I keep nice clean thick shavings down) or in their feed bowl.
How high should I make the roost? Don't really need one but if you do 1-2 feet. THey just lay in a big silkie pile on the floor when they sleep.

Quote:
I have 7 silkies and the love to sit on the roost!! I had a special pen area for them and when I went to look and check everyone they were not in their space I found them on the roosts with the Americana!!!
thumbsup.gif

their roost is closer to the ground than the others but they definitely roost

Chicken wire on the run, will only keep the chickens in. Predators will not be deterred by chicken wire. 1/2" hardware cloth is better solution to protect your birds.

My silkies roost. Not to high, or put a ladder up to it. I would suggest a nest box for each one. Have you ever seen 5 broody silkies in 1 nest box?
roll.png

Quote:
Mine are the same way. They all sleep together in a pile and they lay eggs in the corner of the coop (or whereever they feel like).
lol.png

Quote:
While I appreciate your comment I'm more concerned with keeping the chickens in. If something is coming the neighbors goats will go after it or the cat who thinks it is a tiger.

Back
Top Bottom