Silkie Coop & Run

itstrist

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Grafton,Ohio
So I am preparing to purchase my coop next week as my baby silkies are coming soon and I want to get everything ready. for the run I was planning on building something out of 2x4's and hardware cloth that's about 7ft long and 3.5ft wide for 2 or 3 silkies. I am on budget here and after looking at the prices for wood and all the hardware cloth I decided to look for things I already have. & what I realized is I have TONS of these storage cubes.
I have used them for a lot of animal cages and whatnot indoor but never outdoors. so what I'm thinking about doing, is building a wooden frame and then attaching all of the cubes together with zip ties and j clips and then putting the cubes over top of the wooden frame and then securing it to the frame with staples. I also plan on adding plywood to one, possibly 2 sides for shade. and a tarp over half of the top to protect from rain/snow/sun. would this work? the holes in the cubes are approx 1inx1in. I could put chicken wire over the holes too. here is a picture of the rabbit cage I made with them just to show how sturdy and capable they are.

and here a cage I made for my 2 kittens when they were too young to be let loose with the older cats.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Since you are going to have an outdoor run, do not use chicken wire on it. Too many predators can either tear through it or squeeze through the openings in it. Instead, you should use 1/2' hardware cloth. Also I would not use zip ties to fasten the cubes together. You should either sew them together with galvanized wire or use metal J clips and pliers.

I agree with the above, they need to be a totally secure place, especially since Silkies are flightless and thus wouldn't be able to get away, also due to their docile nature and vision obscuring head fluff they become easy targets. when making your house / run make sure they have plenty of shelter from the elements especially cold winds and rain. Silkies aren't as 'water proof' as other hens and are more susseptiable to the cold and wet

okay I will definitely use j clips to make sure it's secure. I plan on putting plywood on the end and half the side of the run, then covering half the top with a tarp or possibly a tin roof if the budget allows for it.

Last edited:
Tarps aren't all that secure and leak thy also don't last very long. Polycarbonate roofing is expensive but will last 10+ years. Or fiberglass which will yellow over time and will have to be replaced every 8-9 years or so. If the budget allows then it is better to spend more and do it right than to muddle around replacing and fixing things every few years

I'm considering something like this for the roof of the run. it's 3 ft wide which I think will be plenty for the to still be able to go out in the rain. or am I wrong?

I'm familiar with those seen rabbit cages made of them BUT those were for indoors not out, what are the predators your guarding against? For our silkies we use chain link for the majority and ALL are locked in housing at night.. i do have a trio of roosters free ranging though.

The main thing with pens is what you have to keep out, some are more basic like cats, dogs others more dangerous bears, big cat(puma, etc) all birds need shelter to get out of the rain, wind and depending on your climate snow, ice ...

Ours do quite well, and we have it all for weather but they still need a proper house that is secure and weatherproof.
smile.png

Last edited:
we're in ohio and the only known predators are skunks. on the plus side we have a very large mastiff that is outside alllll the time so nothing really comes in our yard. I had a pet bunny that was in a cage with the door open and the run door open 24/7 and he lived for almost 3 years outside before we brought him in and he never had a scratch on him. that's why I'm not too worried. it's most to keep the chickens in when I can't watch them during the day. my family is mostly outside all day in the warm weather so they will free range and then be locked in the coop at night. so the run is only for when we can't watch them or something.

so mainly I just need protection in the run for the winter because we get cold windy winters here and for the summer I'm not too worried because the coop and run will be under some large shady trees.

Makes sense, this is where things always get complicated everyone's dynamics differ. Do watch how short it is while silkies are not fliers they can flutter upwards... quite high and could get out of a very short run. They definitely need protection from rain, and airborne predators.

They love to dust bathe and dig holes like dogs.. so watch the bottom areas, as they often opt to dig along them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom